What's new

When Is It TOO WINDY For You To Continue Using a Vinyl Automatic Roll-Up Door?

Carl

Reaction score
For both of my in-bay automatics I have Wynd Star Model MT exit side roll-up doors and Airlift XRS entry side roll-up doors. My bays face north & south w/ my entry being at the south side of the bay.

I learned the hard way during my first year operating w/ the exit side roll-up doors that IT CAN GET TOO WINDY to safely use such doors! What happens is when there is a very strong NW wind around 30 mph, the door can get blown out of line of the rails to where the vinyl material will want to "bunch up" very badly on one side and actually can get "hung up". The last thing you want is for the door to continue to try to roll-up while it's "bunched up" and trying to either continue to automatically roll-up or continue to try and roll-down. (I fear tearing in such cases.)

At what wind speeds do you take notice and not risk it at all to continue use of your doors and you just roll them up and turn them off? For me I feel like 28 mph coming from the NW is when I get very nervous and just turn off the doors. I have no strategy for south winds that'll hit my entry doors since they are so new yet. I am guessing that "straight-on winds" (due south or due north) might not be as detrimental as the angled winds that cause this "bunching up...jam" of the vinyl roll-up doors such as I have experienced w/ a strong NW or NE wind?

What's your experience w/ your vinyl doors & strong winds? :confused:

Thanks,

Carl

gearhead

Reaction score
I have XRS on both ends and had wind gusts as high as 50 mph and knock on wood, have not had one de-track yet.

lag

Reaction score
We have the xrs on bays at multiple locations with entrances facing north, east ,and west and have never had them come out of the track because of wind. Very noisey... Yes.. But no other issues during winds.

Last edited:

cdreed06

Reaction score
Never had any problems with wind on our Airlift doors. Frozen and bunched up yes but not due to wind.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Ditto on the airlift xrs. Love them, but they do get noisey in the wind!!! Icey in the cold, but (knock knock) always seem to go up and down as programmed!!!
I did have a problem with them opening in the wind, they would billow out to the safety eyes!!!

Etowah