What's new

When I see a bucket washer in one of my bays, I _____________________________________________

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
Does your answer change if it's busy?

Fill in the blank: When I see a bucket washer in one of my bays, I _____________________________________________________________________________________

soapy

Reaction score
I explain to bucket washers that the city and my insurance does not allow off site chemicals to be brought in and used. I become liable for it when it happens. I also point to the 3 signs per bay I have that says No bucket washing. A local sewer authority was hit by some illegal chemicals being dumped somewhere in their system that did hundreds of thousands dollars in damage to the treatment plant.

MEP001

Reaction score
If it's not busy, I don't approach them. Too many of my customers don't speak English, so the odds are they won't understand me. If it's busy, I point out that there are people waiting and they can't do it. They're generally very understanding (if they understand) and don't give me any grief, in which case I thank them and drop some coins in for them if I see them with the timer on. I have in the past gotten all kinds of bad interactions to the point I've called the police. All the same with detailing in the bays after washing.

slash007

Reaction score
Leave them alone if not busy, ask them to put money in the bay box if there is anyone waiting. Kick them out if they act entitled and throw a fit. Most are understanding, some are a**holes.

Roz

Reaction score
Leave them be as long as there is an empty bay and no queues. Most spend some money and they tell their friends that we are easy going so in the long view it probably helps us.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
Does your answer change if it's busy?

Fill in the blank: When I see a bucket washer in one of my bays, I _____________________________________________________________________________________
If we're not too busy, I usually don't say anything. I did create this sign, so in case its a busy day I can "nicely" point to it and encourage them to finish. I also like to tell them we're OPEN 24 HOURS, so if they like to bucket wash, or hand dry, to come earlier or later in the day.

Attachments

sjb

Reaction score
Best to tread lightly, in this crazy world where the folks (Jose in nyc) are thrown in jail and the perps walk… I digress.

i typically approach and apologize for being a bugger… but…. There’s no bucket washing unless the timer is ticking, and point to the sign….

most apologize and adapt…

depending on the current business, I might say how about next time…?

I paid for a few foam brush washes to help the convert’s see… Can you say “I Believe…!”

We do see all types in this Biz…

Wash On!

sjb

Attachments

D&D U-Wash

Reaction score
I SEE $$$ They have to fill the bucket w/water. Then they have to spend more $$$ to rinse.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I SEE $$$ They have to fill the bucket w/water. Then they have to spend more $$$ to rinse.
But what about the 30 minutes in-between when they're slowly mitt-washing, while other customers are waiting to wash? I've lost about $20 on lost time, and possibly the customer waiting. He'll drive to the next car wash & leave me a 1-star Google review.

D&D U-Wash

Reaction score
We have waiting customers pull right behind each Bay that is busy. That does help. That lets the bucket washer know that there's another customer waiting. We use to stress about Bucket washers, (tell them that can't bucket wash, and mention, the best times to do it.) At times didn't go very well. We do have 6 SS bays.
That does help a lot.

D&D U-Wash

Reaction score
We have waiting customers pull right behind each Bay that is busy. That does help. That lets the bucket washer know that there's another customer waiting. We use to stress about Bucket washers, (tell them that can't bucket wash, and mention, the best times to do it.) At times didn't go very well. We do have 6 SS bays.
That does help a lot.
Towel DRYING in a Bay when BUSY is a NO, NO!

HeyVern

Reaction score
Just a thought I had today, everybody has "No Bucket Washing" What if instead the sign said, "Bucket Washing Bay Rental $45.00 for 30 Minutes"? That way, instead of confronting them and telling them to stop, you just say, "Thanks for coming in, that'll be $45.00." If they refuse to pay and leave, that is theft of services. Would never be prosecuted but, probably enough to keep them away.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have had a few that told me to F*** off and at that point the power gets cut to the bay and they leave with soap on the car.
If someone goes that far I call the police right next to them so they can hear. Nearly every time, when they hear me read off their license plate they pack up and leave fast. I make note of their plate and if they come back I call the police out of earshot and have a criminal trespass warrant issued against them. A couple times they've had warrants, they go to jail and their car gets impounded.

soapy

Reaction score
On a similar theme more people are using credit cards and fewer actually get change anymore. I bet half of my quarters from change machines are now for people who show up just to get change and leave. Many come after hours and get change for large bills. Last night at 11 PM I got a call that after getting change for several 5s the person was shorted on her last one and I owed her 3.50. I am now just sending out tokens good at the wash and no more cash refunds.

Etowah