What's new

What's better? $2 start or $3 start, at same rate

blurdgman

Reaction score
We're down to 180 seconds for 2 dollar tokens, this forces many customers to put in a 3rd token in order to finish.

Is it better to have a START requiring 3 dollar tokens for 270 seconds, 4.5 minutes, which is more like the original standard timing of 4 minutes in years past?

In either event we will keep a $2 START with our Washgear credit card setup with the same rate as our coin business. 90% of Washgear customers range from $3.50 to $9+ to wash their cars.

A 3 token START may psychologically push more customers to use their credit card for a $2 START and end up leisurely spending more money than they would using coins.;);)

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Good thought process. One thing that I find when I'm using a wash, even my friend's washes is that there are no signs that tell you how much time you will get per starting amount. Maybe, its because I'm cheap or just want to know what value that I'm getting from my money. Remember, perception is everything, and if my first impression is that I'm getting cheated, what will happen next time I want to wash my car, even if I got a good carwash, I have that negative thought in the back of my head. Why take the chance, inform the customer.

blurdgman

Reaction score
Bill:
I always kept signs indicating 4 minutes for the START time for some 20 years. When I changed to dollar increments it was necessary to lower the amount of time rather than add a whole dollar. I prefer not to have quarters at all. I believe that using the Washgear is an easy compromise for the customers. They can use as much or little time that they like.
I tried giving a 10% bonus time using the Washgear. Customers didn't grasp this. I cannot see any results that more people used their credit card with a 10% bonus.
There are those that will use a credit card and there are those that prefer not to.