What's new

What type of material do you use? Why?

Etowah

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
What type of brush material do all of you use for your brushes?
Do you use the same material throughout the wash or do you use different ones for different brushes or mitter?
Why do you use this type of material?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What type of brush material do all of you use for your brushes?
Do you use the same material throughout the wash or do you use different ones for different brushes or mitter?
Why do you use this type of material?
<<,

My shortest and highest volume tunnel uses all filament. Need to clean cars in a short space with a fast line speed.

I have foam on one top brush at another location primarily because I inherited it. If space permits I would choose a good mitter over the top brush any day.

I use regular cloth because it gets the job done since I have plenty of equipment so there is no need to spend more $ on higher priced and supposedly more effective material. These other locations have double wraps and triple mitters. as well as 2 pair of lower detail brushes. One location also has high side wheels.

I have recently put filament on the lower portion of the high side wheels because I notice my filament place got pretty good wheel cleaning with no high pressure. (Yep, the wheels with small recesses and nooks and crannies are still a problem even with a poodle brush) .

I am thinking of replacing lower detail cloth with filament, and maybe even the lower portion of the wraps, when it next needs a change to help with wheel cleaning.

Chiefs

Reaction score
we use a hybrid process that features touchless followed by Lammscloth mitters sides and wraps. We've used Lammscloth for 11 years now. All we really use it for is to remove the light film that touchless so often leaves behind, thus it really details the vehicle more so than taking on the burden of heavy cleaning. As a result is stays cleaner and lasts longer. While not lasting as long as filament or traditional cloth, it is far gentler on vehicle finishes and contours nicley to many sizes and shapes of vehicles.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
<<,

My shortest and highest volume tunnel uses all filament. Need to clean cars in a short space with a fast line speed.

I have foam on one top brush at another location primarily because I inherited it. If space permits I would choose a good mitter over the top brush any day.

I use regular cloth because it gets the job done since I have plenty of equipment so there is no need to spend more $ on higher priced and supposedly more effective material. These other locations have double wraps and triple mitters. as well as 2 pair of lower detail brushes. One location also has high side wheels.

I have recently put filament on the lower portion of the high side wheels because I notice my filament place got pretty good wheel cleaning with no high pressure. (Yep, the wheels with small recesses and nooks and crannies are still a problem even with a poodle brush) .

I am thinking of replacing lower detail cloth with filament, and maybe even the lower portion of the wraps, when it next needs a change to help with wheel cleaning.
Mr. Weiss,
It is nice to hear from someone with so much car washing experiance/knowledge who is not afraid of filiment brushes! I agree with everything you are saying except for the top brush. I prefer the cleaning ability of the top brush over the mitter (Ryko's models anyway). I can see the advantage of the mitter (less space and possibly less damage). Is this why you prefer the mitter?
Thanks,
Mark

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
>>>Mr. Weiss,
It is nice to hear from someone with so much car washing experiance/knowledge who is not afraid of filiment brushes! I agree with everything you are saying except for the top brush. I prefer the cleaning ability of the top brush over the mitter (Ryko's models anyway). I can see the advantage of the mitter (less space and possibly less damage). Is this why you prefer the mitter?
Thanks,
Mark
<<<

Luv the cleaning ability of the top Brush . Have 2 with filament at the short tunnel to get the job done. Hate the issues with the large rooftop taxi ads as well as other junk on the tops of vehicles. Seems that with triple mitters cleaning the tops of the cars is not really an issue. (Unlike some wheels and backsides of vans and SUVs at high speed.)

IMNSHO all material used properly (Flushing with plenty of water and cleaning solution to get rid of any trapped dirt and provide lubrication) is gentle. In fact, in some cases filament is more gentle since a piece or 2 may break when trapped by chrome or a wiper, while cloth is not so forgiving.

Of interest was a piece of equipment shown by Sonny's with lower detail filament brushes mounted on their poodle brush. Seems what's old is new again including poodle brushes.

I really have a bone to pick with suppliers who put out displays some operators had at their walkways or tunnels with a piece of cloth next to some petrified fialment to show how much gentler it was. Now it's updated with lambscloth next to petrified filament and petrified cloth. !

I think these suppliers and operators using the display hurt not just their competitors but the industry and themselves since very often they had used either or both other materials and some still use it at their other locations.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
In some cases, the lambscloth is quieter and therefor gives the imprssion of being gentler. To a degree this is not just a function of the material but the way the equipment moves. I notice my AVW mitters with a gentler circular motion cause less noise than my Belanger side to side mitters which are more vigorous. I used to think more action was important, but I now think it makes little difference since the action of the cloth is greatly reduced as the vehicle travels thru it. Most cleaning is accomplished by the cloth passing over the vehicle.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
"I really have a bone to pick with suppliers who put out displays some operators had at their walkways or tunnels with a piece of cloth next to some petrified fialment to show how much gentler it was. Now it's updated with lambscloth next to petrified filament and petrified cloth. !

I think these suppliers and operators using the display hurt not just their competitors but the industry and themselves since very often they had used either or both other materials and some still use it at their other locations."

I agree that those displays bring up something customers do not need to be thinking about. Customers go to a professional car wash to get their car cleaned and should assume that the wash they are using will produce a clean, dry vehicle with no damage. Displays as you describe only make customers more aware of that they should be concerned about damage or cleaning ability and create a bad image for the industry in general. The same goes for touch free as opposed to friction or vice versa. I have no problem with a wash promoting one over the other as long as they do not make a negative statement about their competition's use of the type they are not promoting. An operator should make the customer feel good about using their wash - not knock the competition.

Chiefs

Reaction score
They have been using that demonstator for 7-8 years at least. Now Whether it run dry or even if it was run with water being applied to it, there is no disputing the fact that Lammscloth and even bristle will feel softer than traditional cloth. Lammscloth is far gentler than anything I'v ever used and we've been using it for over 11 years now. Try staying in a car going and go though a car wash equipped with all three materials and you tell me which one sounds gentler to the customer.

Now you can wash with whatever you want wash with, but I have no problem telling people that we use the gentlest material in the industry to wash their car. Let them go somewhere else and then they can be their own judge. There is no doubt that bristle and traditional cloth yeild more vehicle's washed and lower replacement cost than Lammscloth, however it certainly gives one a marketing advantage that should and can be exploited without going negative against your competitors who cling to traditional materials. Just pointing out to your customer that you've invested in a new material that is far gentler to their "baby" and then letting them be the judge when they go elsewhere is fair game. You may feel its unfair or puts doubt in the minds of customers about automatic car washes in general. However, every industry tries to educate their customers about their competitive advantages - its called marketing. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen or better yet switch and gain the advantage for yourself.

Its no different than what the cloth manufacturers perpetrated on the public when cloth first came on the scene. No one in their right mind would rather have harsh brushes put on their vehicle when "soft cloth" was available. Even though every operator knew then and still does that bristle is actually softer (when properly lubricated) and does far less vehicle damage than traditional cloth does.

Reaction score
I use neoglide on all my wraps and van wheels cloth on 2 mitters and micro clean on 1 mitter.The micro clean works best on a front to back mitter at the slowest speed.I just ordered new neoglide for my spider wraps and to track wear they are each a different color (green blue red and torquoise) this should help me monitor wear by seeing which color shows up more in the pits ,each time we shovel them.The kirikian family the makers of neoglide are a pleasure to deal with and super knowledgeable.

dlc95

Reaction score
I have all cloth at my wash - because that's what it came with. I'm considering bristle on my rotating pieces and Lammscloth/Microclean on my mitters.

I have a short tunnel with relatively few pieces of equipment. One set of rockers, and one set of wraps. I'm in also in a very muddy area. Bristle gets the details, and doesn't hold the dirt. I'll be supplying the appropriate levels of soap and water to the units to ensure no "transfer" takes place.

I like the Lammscloth type of mitter material. We have a wash here in Troy Mi with an n/s tunnel, and I love how the Lammscloth performs. I have a sample piece from a trade show at the Novi Expo Center from years ago. I'm going to use it to hand wash my neighbor's car.

My boss has cloth, foam, and bristle. So far, I like bristle and cloth the most. At his wash.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Since my 2008 post, at the end of 2012 all equip was replaced with cloth except for tops of RS wrap I put in foam due to antennae issues. The main motivator was taxi roof top ads and Top Brushes not liking each other.

dlc95

Reaction score
Since my 2008 post, at the end of 2012 all equip was replaced with cloth except for tops of RS wrap I put in foam due to antennae issues. The main motivator was taxi roof top ads and Top Brushes not liking each other.
Yeah, sorry about all the old posts. I neglected to to check the dates as I mosey ed through the posts.

Was the bristle replaced? I'd love to see your washes one day!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Only the wheel / tire brush at this location curently has filament.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We do a fair amount of Taxis with large rooftop ads. This required retracing top brushes which all but eliminated top cleaning.

This required changing to mitters. The Sonny's package was set up for cloth. I may yet, as I did at one place replace lower details with filament. Or perhaps something else which was just replace the bottom half fo the core with a filament core.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
dlc95 you bring up another question about mitter curtains.
I'm pretty sure most of the older operations use cloth but of those newer operators which material do you use for your mitters and give us the pros and cons of it.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Have cloth on all mine. Only negative i have is noise on the Belanger whip across and Sonny's FTB 901. AVW's move in a circular fashion so there is no noise / slap sound. Now start the Sonny's when front bumper is under curtain to minimize slap on front. Still some slap on rear.

Went to a competitor to comapre noise level on my car. He uses microclean on his Sonny's 901. No Noise.

Ordered some pieces to try on the Belanger. . Still noisy. Perhaps I did not replace enough peices. Changed to more of a "Thud" than a "Slap".

Other than dropping $2000 to replace cloth that does not need replacing, I have not heard any negatives. Anyone else?

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Earl did you notice if the microclean held the dirt or did they stay clean?
I worry about the microclean picking up dirt/debris from pickup beds.
Does the AVW circular motion clean well vs. the back and forth or side ways motions.
That brings uo another question.
Does any mfg. offer the option of the mitters to raise or part away when a pickup is about to go through the mitter so the mitter does not enter the bed?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Earl did you notice if the microclean held the dirt or did they stay clean?
I worry about the microclean picking up dirt/debris from pickup beds.
Does the AVW circular motion clean well vs. the back and forth or side ways motions.
That brings uo another question.
Does any mfg. offer the option of the mitters to raise or part away when a pickup is about to go through the mitter so the mitter does not enter the bed?
Peco does.

http://www.pecocarwash.com/singlepr...s&classsub3=&classsub4=&classsub5=&classsub6=

Etowah