What's new

What Does Tri-Foam Do...Exactly?

Red Baron

Reaction score
I've never heard it explained. I've been telling customers that it makes the wax work better, but I don't remember if someone told me that or if I imagined it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i tell them it is an extra little layer of silicone-based protection on their paint that protects better between washings.

either that or "it's a specially-designed, scientific method which automatically sucks the money from your wallet."

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
It's just a different form of wax. The old line "you sell the sizzle, not the steak" applies here IMO. The foam and colors is the "sizzle".

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
It's just wax, plus it is low ph, so it neutralizes and lowers the high ph (alkaline) detergents. A lower ph allows water to break easier and thus dry better.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Using 3 colors allows the Chem Co.s / reps to sell 3 times as much product.

Of course you can tell your customers it allows you to make sure you have thorough coverage by applying 3x. Each color is the same formulation except the color.

DavidM

Reaction score
It depends. Some triple foams are low pH, some are not. Some are actually for cleaning (for triple foam brush systems or Wesumat automatics that apply triple foam in place of presoak).
Most are lowering the pH to improve drying and many are adding silicone to increase shine on the finish of the vehicle.
Everything that triple foam does can be done without 3 colors of foam except for "show" I have been tempted to remove it because it can be a pain to rinse completely but customers pay extra for it and they like the show.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use the Simoniz with UV protectant and market it as such. Some are actual waxes, some are cleaners that claim to remove fine, embedded particles.

Mitch

Reaction score
It tickles women's noses and drives young kids bonkers. That is all it needs to do. Most customers call it soap.

easywash

Reaction score
Money saving Idea?

I am using ecolab product and I always have about a 1/4 of a bottle of blue left when the other two are gone.

We are using the same tips but my distributor told me the blue has a different viscosity.

If what everyone is saying is that the only difference is the color then the way I see it if I wanted to save money I could use blue on all three intakes :) and use about 25% less triple foam overall.

Am I missing something here?

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Red:

In my opinion and in that of chemical expert (RIP) Kieth Wasser, it does nothing! It is sell the sizzle but worse. Here's why.

Enter the customer with the '64 MB 190 SL with the biege canvas top. He comes back the next day and suggests his top now has a pink tint to it. OF course Macho Owner denies that is possible. In fact he calls it: "COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE, BEYOND BELIEF!"

I hear it, use colored foam at your own peril - - see red dye 3.

Patrick H. Crowe

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Have no idea aabout the 64 ragtop, but so far no problems with any ragtops that have come thru 3 places.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Like many things in automotive appearance care business, tri-foam is a glitzy way of applying a protection product. Yes, it's the sizzle... but also the steak. Foam application allows the use of color, and the clinging action of foam enables it to hang on the vehicle a bit longer. As many astute operators already know, successful car wash marketing embraces the power of "theater" to merchandise and distinguish. Tri-Foam is nothing more than... theater.

Why stop there? Color and fragrance are powerful tools that offer subliminal enhancements to the car wash process. Savvy car wash operators have learned that subtle sensory enhancements generate hundreds of thousands of dollars... that most others fail to recognize. Bottom-Line: Payback is big when innovative operators take the extra steps that give products a distinguishing "package".

Consider taking the next logical marketing step and create your own branding. Set your operation apart from your competition by offering something "better". It's simply innovative "packaging" that creates its own image... and price-point!

We do it all the time.

jloebker

Reaction score
I don't know exactly what it does, but I've been told to tell the customer it prepares the surface for the wax. I also sometimes tell them spot free removes the silver content,from their pocket.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Basically there are two types of so-called tri-foams. One is simply a high foaming soap with color and scent. It provides a little extra cleaning but no protection. The other is a water based silicone foamer that also contains color and scent. It provides some short term protection. A sealant or protectant should be applied after either one to seal the surface. Be careful not to use the term "wax" in your package description. A while back several major manufacturers were sued over the term and had to pay a penalty. Technically they are not waxes but the silicone fortified products do contain some of the ingredients of a wax.

The problem is that there is a great deal of confusion in the terminology used to describe these products. Usually if the products are called foams they are soaps. If they are called polishes they are normally the water based silicone type of product. The term conditioner is sometimes used on either one by manufacturers so you need to check the product information. Colored foams should cost less than the silicone fortified product.

There is actually a third type of tri-foam called a foaming clear coat protectant. It contains many of the properties of a clear coat protectant. It also foams not quite as well as the other two but rinses much better.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I agree with RPH although I am not familar with the third type of CC foam he mentions. We sell both the tri foam wax and tri foam detergent. Both work as a wax or detergent but are mostly for show. We normally sell the tri foam wax with touchless machines and tri-foam detergent with the softgloss. Both smell good and the customers enjoy the show. Normally they are both used only on the best wash package. Set up properly, these products (especially the detergent) have a very low per car application rate.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Regarding the Blue Coral blue tri-foam...

I have stained several white cars with the blue foam. I finally stopped using it because of the problem.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Chances of staining are greater with the silicone fortified product. It is usually the result of using too strong a dilution to get the desired shade of the color. There is also a greater chance for staining on oxidized vehicles.