What's new

WCA and the drought.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Here in CA, the drought has reached every community, and every day I see stories on the news about how everyone is supposed to reduce their water usage, and let their lawn turn brown, etc.

This is an excellent situation for the WCA to get involved and educate the public and the water agencies about how commercial car washes actually save water versus driveway washing. I'm trying to do this at my local level, but I'd like to see our trade organizations get the message out at the larger regional or nat'l levels.

Otherwise, we're not too far away from a disgruntled and uneducated public calling for car washes to be shut down because they "use too much water!", and if we don't educate the people on the water boards/districts, they just might agree with the public.

What is the WCA/ICA doing to "seize the moment" during this drought situation?

soapy

Reaction score
Axxlrod, Are you a member of the WCA? The WCA does work with the legislature in CA. and local cities. Two weeks ago I sent the WCA a article that was in the Wall Street Journal. Ventura city officials were actually paying for radio telling people to stop washing their cars. A radio station was even giving stuff away to people who had the dirtiest cars. I do not live in the Golden state and glad I don't just because of stuff like this.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Yes, I am a member of WCA. I guess I just don't see or hear about the WCA seizing this opportunity.

soapy

Reaction score
I think they have had to spend a lot of time on the Bond issue for car washes you have in California. In CA. you have to have a bond if you are a car wash to pay for competitors who may go out of business and who have not paid their all the taxes they owe. It now falls onto the legimate car wash that has done things right. I am not sure but I think it was $15,000 but the legislature was trying to raise it to 150,000.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
The ICA has water saver’s program but the association does not lobby.

One reason is the ICA is industry-centric. Another reason is not all regions have drought or water supply issues.

WCA is more membership-driven and does lobby. I believe WCA does good job with water/drought issue given available resources.

So, if you want to avoid

“….disgruntled and uneducated public calling for car washes to be shut down because they use too much water!"

….or “worse” public officials telling people not to washes their cars, then “seize the moment” means education must occur at grass roots level.

However, WCA nor ICA has the resources to satisfy all educational needs at grassroots level.

Also, letting lawns turn brown isn’t an answer to drought, its knee jerk reaction. Whereas Xeriscaping, lava beds and rock gardens instead of grass lawns are answers to drought.

Besides using as little as 20 gallons fresh water per car, commercial wash also process waste water.

One way to educate public officials and public of these facts is to buddy up with environmental agencies. For example, county government may have state approved local water and air quality division. Commissioners rely on technical advice provided by this division as well as state environmental agency when making decisions.

soapy

Reaction score
I just received a email blast from the WCA letting the members know some of things they are doing regarding the drought. I had alerted them of Ventura CA. article in the WSJ and they have already responded and got some action done. They are listening and working on this issue.

Turbo

Reaction score
10 minute shower takes 25 gallons

In the NBC video the Carwash operator says that they reuse the water (potentially making the listener think, for a moment, that the water is 100% reused) but he follows with 'we use 25 gallons per car' (which may disappoint listener and encourage them not to wash their car). He follows with 'a home washer uses 100 gallons' (but I'm guessing they don't home wash either)

I'm suggesting that maybe a better reference is to compare the 25 gallons of weekly Carwash use to the DAILY 25 gallons of shower water. That might resonate better with the public.

Turbo