What's new

Waters spots after SFR.

APW

Reaction score
Had a lady claim that she had water spots all over her car after my top wash. Every wash I have follows up with SFR. I checked it on the TDS meter and its 275 in and 2 out. I ran my work truck through there and I had a few spots. My truck has a tool body on the back. I was wondering if the water could be blowing back off the bed or work body causing the spots. Any help is appreciated.

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
Where did you check the TDS level at? Best is to check it right out of the arch so that you can verify that there is nothing else being introduced to the SFR downstream of the holding tank.

APW

Reaction score
I checked it on the RO machine's meter. I will have to order a TDS meter to check it in the bay.

slash007

Reaction score
The only spots I get after a wash when SFR is working is from the water that runs down from behind the side mirrors and any other crevices like the top of the tailgate etc. Maybe that is the case?

washnvac

Reaction score
You should definitely have a tds meter. I check mine in all bays, at the tank, and at the production hose.

If you have something stuck in a soap or wax solenoid, it could be sucking some of it when sfr is on.

MEP001

Reaction score
Someone told me there's a water filter you can buy at Bed, Bath and Beyond that comes with a TDS meter, the set is cheaper than just a meter. I tried the meter and it's good quality and accurate.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
My advice is to run the complainant’s car through the wash to help identify potential root cause rather than a dissimilar vehicle.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure some will!!!
The only way to truly see how well your SFW is, is to let the vehicle sit in sun and completely dry. There really is no possible way to get all the soaps, salts, dirt, debris etc.etc. from every crevice on every vehicle. So no matter how good your sfr water is, no matter how well your dryers seem to work, even when you towel dry the cars surfaces completely, you drive down the road your going to have spots, streaks etc. I try to once a week wash my truck and just leave it sit in the sun while I am working, and when I leave I take a look and see how well everything is.
Go ahead flame away!!!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Way too many variables to come up with a definitive answer. All are good suggestions and comments but I think I would start with Robert's suggestion. There are a lot of different contaminants that can adhere to a vehicle's finish that can't be washed off some times that could create spotting. It is also a good idea to test the water or chemicals in the bay rather than at the source.

soapy

Reaction score
I get several complaints a year about hard water spots. It is because we have 20 grain hardness and people park next to a sprinkler. I have to point out that the water spots are usually only one side of the car and explain it to them. When ever I get a water spot complaint the first thing I look for is to see if it is all over the car or just on one side or back or front.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Nothing compares to the spots left from potable water like they usually use to water golf courses. Once had one come to our detail shop to have potable water spots removed. Couldn't even buff them out. Owner ended up getting his car repainted.

APW

Reaction score
I borrowed a TDS meter. I checked it in the SF tank and it was 3. I checked it at the arch and it was 3. What else could cause the spotting? Should I slow SF rinse down I already have it on 3 and 1 is the lowest. Or should I slow my HP rinse down, it is on 4.

lag

Reaction score
Had a site that had spotting issues once. Turned out dyers were really dirty. Just a thought

washnvac

Reaction score
Had a site that had spotting issues once. Turned out dyers were really dirty. Just a thought
Good point lag. I have had that happen before, especially after a night that has had fog or a lot of dew. First wash blows all that loosened up crap out.

lag

Reaction score
Good point lag. I have had that happen before, especially after a night that has had fog or a lot of dew. First wash blows all that loosened up crap out.
Yes same here always when high dew points dryers just couldn't dry out. just get high pressure washer out and clean from time to time.one more job to add to never ending to do lists.

APW

Reaction score
I think the spots might be from the overhead swivel leaking. It is dripping during the wash and then I think the blowers splatter it back on the car. Hopefully that is it.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
If your spot free is good coming out onto the vehicle, then the problem most likely lays elsewhere. Drips from the equipment, moisture getting sucked in by the dryers, etc. it's a challenge for those of us with dryers so close to the wash, nearly impossible to prevent the drips and stray water blowing around. Mine are integrated on my IBA's. if I were to do it again, I'd hang the dryers outside the bay to prevent this.

Also, try and rub one of the spots, does it come off easy or hard. This will tell you if the spot was there before the wash or happened after the wash.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
I have had a minor problem with this same issue with a dark colored truck. The truck is mine and have only had it a few months. I am still not 100% sure but I believe the wax was being applied to heavily and wasn't getting totally rinsed off. Not a problem w/my old truck. I don't use the dryer since I always have something in the back. I tried my lowest wash one day and low and behold, no spots. The lower wash has no wax. I have since cut the wax back and it seems to be much better. I have not had any complaints about spots other than from ME.