What's new

Water in the Air Compressor

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Recently I have been hearing water trickling inside the air compressor (Quincy QT-75) I have a filter on the outgoing line and is installed to the tank but when I go to drain that there's not a lot of water coming out, but when I open the ball valve on the bottem of the tank thats where it sounds like a gallon water is coming out, I don't believe water can be coming back into the tank from the automatics it doesn't seem possible that 130 psi can't hold back water.

Reds

Reaction score
The compressed air is hot and full of moisture, it cools in the tank and moisture condenses out of it. I drain my tank every day when I arrive at the wash. It is plumbed right into my floor drains.

MEP001

Reaction score
DiamondWash said:
I don't believe water can be coming back into the tank from the automatics it doesn't seem possible that 130 psi can't hold back water.
It's not possible for 130 PSI to hold back water if the water is at 1000 PSI.

torquewrench

Reaction score
The compressed air is hot and full of moisture, it cools in the tank and moisture condenses out of it. I drain my tank every day when I arrive at the wash. It is plumbed right into my floor drains.
I hooked up an automatic drain on my compressor. Every time the compressor kicks on it shoots out a burst of water.I think it cost about 30 bucks.This way I never forget to drain the compressor

Chuck Ivey

Reaction score
I hooked up an automatic drain on my compressor. Every time the compressor kicks on it shoots out a burst of water.I think it cost about 30 bucks.This way I never forget to drain the compressor
You will still need to manually drain the water. That burst won't keep all the water out of the tank unless you can adjust the duration of the burst.

Trust me, I've been working on compressors for over forty years. I have drained fifteen to twenty gallons of water from compressors with so called automatic drains.

torquewrench

Reaction score
Hum, I guess your right. I went and drained the water. Was not alot in there but was still some water. The auto drain is still helping alot but should still be manually drained once in a while

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
When we installed our compressors we removed the valve on the bottom, put a street 90 elbow in its place, a short nipple and a ball valve that you can see, reach down and open to drain the water.

The reason we do this is it's easy when you see it and it is part of the daily clean-up of the washes and you don't have to get down on your knees, find the valve, try to remember which way to turn it on, etc.

We are not in a high humid area (California), but the compressors will still accumulate moisture on a daily basis.

jprb

Reaction score
We installed an automatic drain on our compressors. They are a solenoid valve on a timer, with an adjustable "open" time (got them at KR). They open about every thirty minutes for one or two seconds. That keeps our compressors drained in our very humid area.

JRPB

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
Our compressor came with auto drain and cooler.. At the end of each cycle it bleeds off a little pressure/ water. We know it is working because it drains into a 5 gal bucket which we empty as needed. It is amazing how much water comes out on humid days.

Ted