What's new

Wash with septic and well - how know water usage?

carwashbg

Reaction score
Hi- looking into buying a car wash. Small, 4 bay, outside city limits. Seller says the water is septic and they have a well. I'm not familiar with well water for washes. How can I know how much water is being used monthly if it's from well? Does this mean that there's no charge for water usage? Can you tell me how this well system works as far as costs and usage? Thanks

Scotty

Reaction score
A flow meter is easy to install for water usage. Well water can be full of minerals and usually needs water softening…I’d be surprised if there wasn’t one there. The costs involved with using well water are negligible, the price of electricity to run the well pump, the periodic replacement of the well pump and water softener supplies. I’d look very closely at the septic system. Is it a tank that needs sucked out or a field that waste water drains into? Emptying a septic tank can get pricey when done at a regular basis. Hope this helps.

carwashbg

Reaction score
Thank you- appreciate the info. The septic drains into a field.

MEP001

Reaction score
Hopefully there's a good silt separating system in place. Car wash waste and mud will fill a septic system very fast. You might need a really good surveillance system in case someone dumps something hazardous into your pits so you can go after them for damages. It can get insanely expensive and might get you shut down.

carwashbg

Reaction score
Yes, I was thinking things could get messy and expensive. The numbers aren't looking good anyway, so going to pass. Thank you for your reply.

mac

Reaction score
In most states now it illegal to put waste water in a septic field. If the EPA catches you there could be thousands in fines. There is still no cost effective reclaim system for a self serve.

Eugene

Old Man
Reaction score
Did that for years . IT WAS A PAIN IN THE AZZ . Tanks fills up with mud ,drain field fills up with mud always a problem . You can't filter out all of the fine sediment it will fill the drain field . Forget ever adding a automatic wash . I had to spend $30,000 to bore under a 4 lane to get to new sewer line then I was able to add a 5 bay and then a automatic .

Last edited: