What's new

WAGO wire connectors

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I recently got new doors for my self serve bays from GinSan and I noticed they used these permanent clear wire nuts that once they are crimped there is no way of removing them and reattaching the wires, so I ordered all new WAGO 221 connectors as seen in the 2nd picture below, why don't manufacturers use WAGO's I know WashWorld does now because it just makes wire connections so much easier to maintain and install. WAGO also makes a TON of other wire connecting devices to simplify electrical jobs.

1596947068739.png

1596946977934.png

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm sure it's mostly one of those "That's just how we've always done it" attitudes. I just love cutting apart that 3/4" thick bundle of wire on a Coleman combo vac to change the coin acceptor, or better yet work on it after someone's butchered the wiring trying to figure out a problem.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I'm using them and do like them for things I know I'm going to have to change out eventually, like coin mechs,etc. There is no way to make a bad connection with those. Not sure if there will be long term water (corrosion) issues with them, but time will tell.

Randy

Reaction score
I recently got new doors for my self serve bays from GinSan and I noticed they used these permanent clear wire nuts that once they are crimped there is no way of removing them and reattaching the wires, so I ordered all new WAGO 221 connectors as seen in the 2nd picture below, why don't manufacturers use WAGO's I know WashWorld does now because it just makes wire connections so much easier to maintain and install. WAGO also makes a TON of other wire connecting devices to simplify electrical jobs.

Geez Steve, I wonder if it could have anything to do with profits. Self-serve car wash equipment is a very competitive market. Would you be willing to pay more for the same equipment with Wago connectors or go with the less expensive closed end butt splice connectors? The closed end butt splice connectors are a hell of a lot less expensive than the Wago connectors.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We have been happy with using the "broad range of wire sizes" WAGOS for over 5 years now. There are vibration proof terminals that can make for more compact wiring. There are like over 30 connections on our Safety Certified PLC Phoenix Contact relays that have those vibration proof space saving terminals as an option. When we improved on some "spin only" high g force extractors is where we needed the special ... albeit expensive PLC programmable relays.

We have found also it is often helpful to crimp on wire ferrules ... especially... for smaller gauge strand wire.

Last edited:

water guy

Reaction score
probably putting a little die
We have been happy with using the "broad range of wire sizes" WAGOS for over 5 years now. There are vibration proof terminals that can make for more compact wiring. There are like over 30 connections on our Safety Certified PLC Phoenix Contact relays that have those vibration proof space saving terminals. When we improved on some "spin only" high g force extractors is where we needed the special ... albeit expensive PLC programmable relays.

We have found also it is often helpful to crimp on wire ferrules ... especially... for smaller gauge strand wire.
how about die electric grass

John J Spokas

Reaction score

View attachment 1986

View attachment 1985
I love em. What is really cool is leave a position open on the Neutral or -VDC connector and you can clamp one test lead there freeing up your other hand while your probing for voltage on troubleshooting missions! :)

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Hey-free samples everyone!

MEP001

Reaction score
I had my doubts about these until I watched this. The last few seconds says a lot, the wire insulation burns away before the plastic of the connector, and the connection never fails.

kdersch

Reaction score
I’ve even seen these connectors supplied on higher end lighting fixtures.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
IMHO ... this dialog-discussion thread may still have value.

The more we use Wagos or similar connectors might be branded differently ... the more we see how they are better. We have purchased from various sources 2,3,4,5, & 8 port.

One helpful feature vs other approaches ... I have found I can put the hot side probe of my Fluke 325 Multimeter in a purposely left spare port of a Wago. In general ... IE... an operator needs 2,3,4 or 7 but 1 ready for the probe in a 3,4,5 or 8 port version. The other side of the probe usually can test the circuit by just going to the neutral or common ground etc.

DavidM

Reaction score
The Wago terminals have a hole in them to insert a tester without needing to leave an extra port. The extra port can be useful if you want to clip your tester in to free up an extra hand.

I agree with the other posters, they are a great connector, I haven't had any failures yet.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Diamond,
Just call ol Dan Kamsickas out why don't ya. HaHa.
But seriously, he's pretty sharp & posts on here alot. I bet he can get em to switch to these.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have only used Wago 222 Series. I wonder if there is any advantage to using the Wago 221 Series??? This thread's pics pretty much is just showing the Wago 221 Series. Is it just more transparency?

Kar B Kleen

Reaction score
As an Industrial Electronic Tech in a high tech, high speed manufacturing environment maintaining, designing, and modifying European manufacturing equipment for over 35 years, I can tell you that Wago products are quality products. Absolutely no doubt they handle any thing the car wash industry can throw at them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Had a 2 port wago and needed to connect 3 low voltage wires. Twisted 2 together and inserted in one port. Seemed to work fine. Anyone see any issues doing this?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Had a 2 port wago and needed to connect 3 low voltage wires. Twisted 2 together and inserted in one port. Seemed to work fine. Anyone see any issues doing this?
I have done that in a pinch but I try to avoid that ... I am pretty sure that it would decrease the pullout protection ... like showed in the "pull gauge portion" of the mep001 linked video.

PrecisionPyro

Reaction score
I have only used Wago 222 Series. I wonder if there is any advantage to using the Wago 221 Series??? This thread's pics pretty much is just showing the Wago 221 Series. Is it just more transparency?
222 I believe are rated for slightly higher current, and have a better tenancy to try and remove your fingernail while disengaging them.
221 are rated just fine for 99% of wash applications, and don't screw up your manicure, leaving nails intact. 👍

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
222 I believe are rated for slightly higher current, and have a better tenancy to try and remove your fingernail while disengaging them.
221 are rated just fine for 99% of wash applications, and don't screw up your manicure, leaving nails intact. 👍
LOL. I have been using my Instantpot to make the heaviest bone broth possible (collagen galore) which tends to make my fingernails the strength of some stainless steels ... so for some of us the fingernail consideration may not apply 😊. BTW ... if the Wagos were too easy to flip up the pullout possibly would tend to not be as strong considering the clamp down pressure ... not sure.