What's new

WAGO 221 or 222 lever nuts?

OurTown

Reaction score
I'm about ready to buy an assortment pack of the 221s to try out but wondered why they even make the 222 series. It looks like the 221 is the new and improved version. Maybe I'm overlooking something. Has anyone here tried both and compared?

slash007

Reaction score
Here is what I found :Minimize space consumption in the junction box by 40% compared to 222 Series

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
222 is the first generation nuts. The 221s are smaller and clear, allowing visual confirmation of connections. Just started using them and they seem like very cool little guys for the right application. I founf the best prices on ebay or amazon. I think I paid around $50 for a box of 50 2 connector, 50 3 connector, and 25 five connector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZyGqCssdCU

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Oh yeah, they make a series for 10 gauge wire if you need them. The ones I use are good from 12-24 gauge

OurTown

Reaction score
I thought I was on the right track but couldn't figure out why they went down with the new model number and also why the 222s are still on their website.

Scrub Free

Reaction score
What's the benefit of this type of connector? Mine all seem to corrode in short time. Even packed with dielectric grease. I have been replacing them with crimp and seal butt connectors.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
What's the benefit of this type of connector? Mine all seem to corrode in short time. Even packed with dielectric grease. I have been replacing them with crimp and seal butt connectors.
I don't think they would be ideal for high moisture applications. They would be useful for connecting multiple conductors of the same or different size together in a secure and compact fashion. In high moisture environments you should probably stick with crimp and seal

MEP001

Reaction score
I use wire nuts for lawn sprinkler systems if there's any chance they will get wet.

OurTown

Reaction score
Although not at all waterproof the spring is stainless steel so they should not corrode but the copper wires would. Are yours WAGO brand?

Scrub Free

Reaction score
Auto correct

No idea what brand, they came with my WW equipment - all low voltage stuff. Makes sense its the copper wire and not the connector. Either way crimp and seal seems to make way more sense to me.I get cutting cost at manufacturing, but if I need to cut it out for corrosion I'm doing crimp and seal until I find a better option.

Last edited:

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Ever since discovering WAGO's, its the only way I tie multiple wires together. Worked great for my interactive LED lighting circuits. Makes for a very clean install.