What's new

Video cable question

1carwash1

Reaction score
Getting ready to install a new video system and have a question about PoE cable. The system I'm considering comes with premade 100ft cat5e cables but they are not outdoor/direct burial rated. Do I need direct burial rated cables if they are under a canopy? If needed I could purchase some cat5e or cat 6 direct burial cable and make my own assemblies. Would up grading to cat6 improve performance? Also, if I upgrade to outdoor/direct burial cable do I need a larger rg45 connector since the cable diameter may be wider.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We are using Cat 6 as we need new because the price difference is not that great. IMHO, it seems like since you have canopy protection ... I would say UV rays from the sun would be a bigger concern than what is required when buried below ground. Usually the RJ 45 ends professionally done are better than done by an amatuer with inferior crimping tools etc.

Last edited:

KleanRide

Reaction score
Just finished installing a complete system from Backstreet Surveillance. I'd go with the cat6 burial cable for any runs that aren't completely inside the building or in conduit. Any money you save by going with the cheaper cable will be gone when it degrades and you have to pull and replace it. Not sure about "larger rg45" connectors. I used the ones that came with the system and they worked fine on the cat6 burial cables.