What's new

very cheap starter wash

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Do it, money isn't doing anything for you sitting in the bank. Better opportunity by buying real estate. I agree with Randy, keep it a hobby for awhile. Clean up what's there, put some elbow grease in it, etc. Don't sink a bunch of money into it right away. Just get things working. Once customers see things working, they should start coming. Oh, and wash your vehicle every time you're there, people wI'll see it. They like going to busy places.

area123

Reaction score
I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions.

I made an offer and got it for less than I thought. So a little extra money for signage and some paint!

The ugliest thing about this wash I think is that he's covered all the exterior block with the white bay panels. I think I want to remove those and paint the concrete block red or blue.

Speaking of signs, where do you guys order your in bay signs?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Get things working before you put lipstick on it and attract customers.

area123

Reaction score
That's a good point. Everything is working good for now. I use it pretty often actually since I found out it was a descent wash. I'm sure some things need maintenance.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Can't stress this enough. What's the saying? . You have one chance to make a first impression. Do improvements from the inside out. Paint the building last, if at all (BEWARE OF OIL-BASED PAINT ON A CARWASH).

Be economical. Search ebay, here and the other forum for cheap used equipment like vendors.

Figure out how to post pictures on here and you will get a lot of free advice from some of the best operators in the industry. There are some first class operators on here.

Call Kleen Rite, Windtrax and Dultmeier and get catalogs on the way.

Etowah

Randy

Reaction score
When you say the ugliest thing about this wash is the white bay panels. How are they ugly? Are they dirty or broken? They can be cleaned with Nu-wall. You never want to paint the bays walls in a car wash, they won’t last very long and they get really ugly fast.

We buy all of car wash soap, vending supplies and parts from Kleen-Rite.

There’s a car wash convention in Las Vegas on April 23rd - 25th that all new owners need to go to.

area123

Reaction score
Yeah it's the panels but he's put them on the outside of the building too. I think it would look better in painted block. I've never seen anyone use the bay panels outside like that. I want to remove and patch up the holes in the block and paint it just on the outside.

It'd be nice to go to Vegas! But that trip would cost about as much as we paid for the wash probably!

Maybe next year after we earn a little from it.

ToFarGone

Reaction score
Keeping the bays OPERATING PROPERLY, WELL LIT, AND CLEAN!!!!!....put those things above everything else. Yes, if someone ripped half the plastic sheets off one wall I would fix it and it would seem cosmetic. Keep it on a shoe string but don't sacrifice the things I said above. When you start making some money hire a retired person as an attendant. People will say it isn't needed but they are wrong. If they visit my site on the day of their choosing they will see what a difference that makes. That retiree can also can work on some of the cosmetic things during slow times. I had a retired sheet metal worker working for me...retrimmed a my doors and they looked better than new! I have a retired Case employee...if I have a mechanical problem I can't figure out, chances are he has been watching over my shoulder and figures it out. These guys were pro's and now do it (at their own speed) for and 1/3 their previous hourly rate. God speed my friend.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Yeah it's the panels but he's put them on the outside of the building too. I think it would look better in painted block. I've never seen anyone use the bay panels outside like that. I want to remove and patch up the holes in the block and paint it just on the outside.

It'd be nice to go to Vegas! But that trip would cost about as much as we paid for the wash probably!

Maybe next year after we earn a little from it.
There's also a show in Arlington, Texas next week. Close enough to Oklahoma that you shouldn't miss it. Google Southwest Car Wash Association for details. If all you want is to walk the floor and not go to any seminars, call Kleen Rite or some other supplier and they can get you free passes.

Last edited:

washnshine

Reaction score
I think this is a great opportunity. Many of us seek out a job at a wash before we buy one to gain experience. You can actually own your own wash that allows you to gain experience in the industry for a very low price. Like another poster said - that much money in the bank does nothing - I would go for this.

You can't put a dollar amount on every hour of your life - you obviously have an interest in the business, and now you have a way to be in the club!

Congrats on getting a deal like this. I hope it goes well for you.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“We could buy it for $13k cash.”

“I made an offer and got it for less than I thought.”

“I suggest you walk away and get a bubble gum vending route.”

I’m not sure you can even buy a bubble gum route for this little bit of money.

area123

Reaction score
Bubble gum.. Not a bad idea for a troll! There are a lot of kids in this area, bubble gum and candy vending is a great idea for this spot!

I've read a few of your responses in other threads by accident unfortunately, and most seem like very impractical text book responses or insults meant to demean others and attempt to show off whatever business intelligence you think you might have. Well I for one would rather hear from successful small business owners who successfully run a car wash by themselves. That is where the practical information comes from. Not some troll who has had a little business training.

I really appreciate all of the helpful responses from the small business owners on this site. They have all been very helpful and encouraging and I'm certain this will continue to be a great source of practical help. (With an occasional snide troll remark, which I find entertaining at times.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Bubble gum.. Not a bad idea for a troll! There are a lot of kids in this area, bubble gum and candy vending is a great idea for this spot!

I've read a few of your responses in other threads by accident unfortunately, and most seem like very impractical text book responses or insults meant to demean others and attempt to show off whatever business intelligence you think you might have. Well I for one would rather hear from successful small business owners who successfully run a car wash by themselves. That is where the practical information comes from. Not some troll who has had a little business training.

I really appreciate all of the helpful responses from the small business owners on this site. They have all been very helpful and encouraging and I'm certain this will continue to be a great source of practical help. (With an occasional snide troll remark, which I find entertaining at times.
http://www.autocareforum.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_troublesome_users

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Actually, someone else wrote the bubble gum idea first if you would have taken the time to read.

“….your responses….seem like very impractical text book responses or insults….”

Impractical if you can’t follow along. I don’t apologize for that.

By all means, rally around your new found friends and take their advice.

Commercial property, a building and full set of self-serve carwash equipment and support equipment for less than the price of cheap used car.

Not only do I have a hard time believing this scenario is even real why would anyone want to subject themselves to the liability risk for only $6,000 in profit?

area123

Reaction score
Really?? I made up a $12k car wash? If I had time to sit around and make up fantasies it might resemble something like a Texas roadhouse or a Brazilian steakhouse! Funny you should question whether or not it's a real scenario. I've seen a couple other posts where you acuse posters of making these scenarios up.

As far as understanding all of your technical lingo and jargon, maybe I do have trouble following or maybe I just find myself getting bored, much like a few of my college classes. Not that it doesn't have a place, but solid practical experience trumps book knowledge most times in my experience. I have a masters in engineering but it took years of getting my hands dirty to be very useful as an engineer.

I don't see any reason why I would make up a $12k car wash. I could show you the listing and pictures but why bother. I have been sucessfully running 3 other small businesses, 1 myself and 2 with my wife. I know how to find value and potential when I see it. It may be worth less than a bubble gum route in your eyes, but I see potential for many reasons that I haven't even explained here. I've paid less than the 3 empty commercial lots are worth. If I like the business and conditions are right, I'll tear this one down and build a brand new car wash. But I'm not going to spend that kind of money without having any experience and without understanding this market first. I have to start somewhere. And I'll continue to gleen practical advice from these sucessful car wash owners here. And hey, I might accidentally enjoy myself.

MEP001

Reaction score
By all means, rally around your new found friends and take their advice.
Try and explain why this reply is not as juvenile as a child saying "I'm taking my ball and going home."

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
What is juvenile is to entertain this farce.

Less than $13,000 for 2-bay SS with 1 side-bay works out to cost magnitude of about $1.00 per SF land.

Pray tell where is this gem located – in middle of corn field?

Guy just bought cheap wash (to learn business) and now several days later he is already positioning to buy a second wash.

Master’s degree in Engineering can’t grasp risk reward, index of retail saturation, etc.

Sorry, I ain’t buying it.

area123

Reaction score
Yes. There are cornfields nearby. And soybeans. I myself have a nice 50 acre hay meadow but no corn or beans.

I'll send you a picture after we do some cleaning up. It's not much to look at now.

The other wash is one my dad is interested in, he's retired and will be bored soon. Any input there is appreciated for his sake.

Ok, off to dream up some more car wash buying fantasies!