What's new

Vacuum Vandalism Repair

LeeD

Reaction score
I had a vacuum damaged this week. Any suggestions on the best way to go about a repair? I'm not a very good welder and I'm not sure if I could get everything straight enough and make it look decent using stainless stick in my old arc welder. I was thinking perhaps cut the entire coin acceptor/safe off of the vacuum and have a new one welded on, but D&S won't return phone calls so I don't know if new ones are even available.

20210715_093620.jpg 20210715_093620.jpg

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use a local welding shop here in Massachusetts. They have a portable welder they use for jobs in the field. They come out, take measurements, make a drawing, then come back and install the new pieces.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Had something similar happen to one of mine. The removable portion is set in far enough so it will pass the head of a bolt. . I cut steel to fit the sides and straightened or cut off the damaged portions. Made a slot for the lock bar in the new sides. Then simply bolted to the old piece from inside. Since they can't hold the head of the bolt they cannot unscrew them. You could also grind the nut almost flat with the outside nut and smash it.

MEP001

Reaction score
JEAdams will sell the assembly that you can weld or bolt on. The hard part will be getting the old one off.

LeeD

Reaction score
I use a local welding shop here in Massachusetts. They have a portable welder they use for jobs in the field. They come out, take measurements, make a drawing, then come back and install the new pieces.
Thanks. I'm having a hard time getting mobile guys to even come out. Finally had one out late yesterday he said he was going to get with his "fabricator" and see what they could come up with.

LeeD

Reaction score
Had something similar happen to one of mine. The removable portion is set in far enough so it will pass the head of a bolt. . I cut steel to fit the sides and straightened or cut off the damaged portions. Made a slot for the lock bar in the new sides. Then simply bolted to the old piece from inside. Since they can't hold the head of the bolt they cannot unscrew them. You could also grind the nut almost flat with the outside nut and smash it.
That sounds like a reasonable option. Thanks!

Randy

Reaction score
Don’t you just love amateurs! I can get into those vacuums in just a few minutes without damaging the stainless steel shell. How much money do you think they got? I think the best thing you could do is replace the vacuum. You could fix it, but it’s going look like crap.

LeeD

Reaction score
Just happened to see my old thread. I had an old auto cashier cabinet that I cut up and used the stainless along with some stainless rod for my arc welder from Tractor Supply. It's not really pretty, but it's okay.

Attachments

evacuum

Reaction score
Looks like you may need a new security bar or security cover. Here are a few links to review. I hope this helps.

edredtop

Reaction score
I've had this sitting on my inventory shelf for about 15 years. I'll sell it to you for $50 (pretty much the cost of shipping) if it helps.
If you want, I can put it on ebay and post a link to it here.

Attachments