What's new

Vacuum line freezing

philliesfan94

Reaction score
I highly doubt anyone has this issue but figured I'd take a stab at asking anyway.

I have my main vacuum line that runs underground and every winter we have a freezing problem. I assume when the pipe was installed it wasn't correctly sealed so water gets in and freezes in the line. It's not a once in a while thing either. It's pretty much every day of the winter when we have temperatures dip into the low 30s. (I'm in the northeast by the way). This obviously causes a headache for customers and my staff as we constantly attempt to unfreeze it and it leaves customers not having the ability to vacuum their vehicles.

Currently, the only thing we consistently do is empty our main vacuum canister daily, and when the line freezes, pour hot water so it pulls through and breaks apart the ice. One year I did install one of the heated wires which seemed to work for a few weeks before it got sucked through the line and destroyed. Just wondering if anyone else does have this problem and if anyone has any ideas that may work to help this issue.

MEP001

Reaction score
Can you re-run the line above ground?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Heated wire attached more securely?

Does it freeze overnight or just when you are closed overnight? If the latter perhaps add some eco friendly anti freeze at closing.

Blanco

Reaction score
The pipe was most likely not buried deep enough. It needs to be buried below the frost line. What kind of surface is the pipe buried under?

HeyVern

Reaction score
need find how the water is getting in and fix it. After you pour hot water in is it all getting sucked out?