What's new

vacuum keeps running

chuck

Reaction score
In my vacuums I am using a Ginsan multitron coin acceptor and a Kleen-rite KR-9 timer. The problem I am having is that sometimes it stays running longer than it should. It will shut off on its own after a while. Does anyone know if I should change the timer or the coin acceptor first. If I change one, I won't be sure if its fixed for a while since it only does it once in a while. Also is there any difference between Ginsan timer gs-403 and Kleen-rite timer TIKR 403. thanks

Randy

Reaction score
It would have to be the Timer. Do you have a relay installed to protect the Timer? If you do it could be the relay. I like to use a mercury relay to protect the timer. The only difference in the Kleen-rite 403 timer and Gin-San 403 timer is the color and the price. Switch the timer with another vac and see if the problem goes with the timer.

MEP001

Reaction score
It probably is the timer, but it could be the coin acceptor "chattering" the coin signal. The latter is not something I've seen often, especially from a Multitron, but swapping acceptors between vacs would be easier thah swapping timers.

I agree that the timer should be isolated from the load by a relay, and I also prefer the mercury relays. I even go so far as to fuse-protect the relay with separate 10-amp MDL fuses on each motor. It's cheap insurance.

chuck

Reaction score
I do have a relay installed. It doesn't seem to hapen very often, but I am not there all the time. I will install a new timer and see what happens. Thanks

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Here is one easy way to troubleshoot it if you catch it in the act.

Remove one of the wires from the bottom of the relay while the vac is running. BE CAREFUL, the wire may be HOT! If the vac stops running, your problem is most likely the timer. If it keeps running, it's most likely the relay.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've seen relays arc and cause the vacuum to run continuously after it should stop, but I've never seen one make it run "longer than it should."

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I've seen relays arc and cause the vacuum to run continuously after it should stop, but I've never seen one make it run "longer than it should."
You're absolutely right. I didn't go back and reread the original post and forgot that he said it would eventually stop.

Ben Smith

GinSan Technical Support
Reaction score
Everyone is right about swapping parts with a different vac. Being that it happens sometimes it's going to be hard to troubleshoot.

If it happened everytime, I would say possibly the Multitron. But since it's sparatic I would point more towards the GS-9.