What's new

Vac nozzles

Etowah

mac

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in the past, but how do you best modify the vac nozzles so that they can be more easily moved over the carpet? I have been rebuilding EVERYTHING at the wash I bought. Now that I have good gaskets, new motors( 3 per vac) and filter bags, these things could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

mac

Reaction score
Any info on that tool?

soapy

Reaction score
I drill a few small holes above the cleaning end. Aluminum vac nozzles already have them. This is supposed to increase the suction

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
A long time ago this thread was discussed. When vacuuming dry surfaces you want to strike a balance between suction and air flow. I do drill the nozzles with 3 -1/4" or so holes to facilitate flow but a notching tool would probably look better.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I suspect you already know this, but a reminder for the newer guys reading this - "suction"/"vacuum" doesnt get the dirt up the hose, technically it is air molecules pushing the dirt up. Yes the suction/vacuum is what makes the air flow so I realize I'm being a tech weenie, but here's the point: if you don't have a way for air to get into the hose, it doesn't lift the dirt. Hence the need for notches or holes, or for the customer to keep the nozzle at an angle or a little bit off the surface.
So a more direct answer: I usually cut 2 notches with a strong pair of wire clippers. I put them closer to the ends/outside of the nozzle, figuring that helps lift the dirt around the edges & corners of the car floor. Then I drag the nozzle across the concrete floor a couple times to round off the sharp edges. Yeah a file would be more professional :)

iirc I started doing this after that long-ago thread Greg mentioned (decades??), perhaps after IB was bragging about his notching tool?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Can someone post of a picture please. Been in the game going on 5 years but still consider myself a newbie and always looking to improve operations and/or customer experience. What you say Paul makes sense to me now I would like to see how some you seasoned guys do it so that I can replicate it and try it out.....preferably tomorrow lol

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Here's the snippers. Someone here on the forum told me about them. That's a business card that I snipped some notches in, so you could see how deep/shallow it will cut. They are Wiss brand #HN-1.
snipped card.jpg

OurTown

Reaction score
Pat, can you show us a photo of the nozzle after notching?

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in the past, but how do you best modify the vac nozzles so that they can be more easily moved over the carpet? I have been rebuilding EVERYTHING at the wash I bought. Now that I have good gaskets, new motors( 3 per vac) and filter bags, these things could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.
I drill a couple small 1/8 holes on top , works great.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Ordered the HVAC notching / crimping tool after reading this thread earlier . I’ll report back on my impressions and improvements if any. Thanks everyone

bert79

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice on this and the pictures. Ideas like this (along with MANY others) are why I love this forum!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Since my nozzles wear at the end I would think the notches would disappear over time if the nozzle lasts long enough. I have gone the drill the hole up higher route A friend who worked for the Old National Pride chin gave me that method.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Since my nozzles wear at the end I would think the notches would disappear over time if the nozzle lasts long enough. I have gone the drill the hole up higher route A friend who worked for the Old National Pride chin gave me that method.
That's not been an issue. The claw has usually split up the side before the notches are gone. The top notches can be cut just a little deeper. The ones on the underside are about as deep as the tool will reach.