What's new

Tunnel equipment life expectancy

Rusted6

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can anyone give me some guidance on life expectancy that a new 100 ft tunnel Should last?
How long do the brushes last? And is there other parts or systems that need replacements?
Cheers and stay safe

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You ask a simple question with a complicated answer. If the structural components are Stainless and / or Aluminum they will last indefinitely. Most everything that moves or makes contact has some life expectancy but it can vary from 100,000 cars to millions of cars. Washing material varies based upon type - Filament, foam or cloth and types of cloth.

MEP001

Reaction score
Washing material varies based upon type - Filament, foam or cloth and types of cloth.
Also type of vehicles washed - one manufacturer told me that brushes on their machines in their area last twice as long as the ones sold here because a much higher percentage of vehicles washed here are trucks. They even make the bottom section of the side brushes black to hide the grease and grime picked up off of ball hitch receivers.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Depends on wash volume. If you don't wash many cars, the equipment will last a long time.

Cloth will last longer than foam; but I don't like cloth. Personal presence.

The most common thing I replace is bearings and hoses/polytube due to age and wear.

The actual framing last forever. Especially if it's stainless steel.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Highly dependent on the volume of washing the wash does as well as how well it is maintained. Bearings, shocks, air cylinders, motors, solenoids, cloth, brushes are all wear items, it could be a year, it could be several years, there are no simple answers.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Cloth will last longer than foam; but I don't like cloth. Personal presence.
Depends. Had top brush Foam OEM from AVW and I don't think it lasted 100K cars before shedding pieces and I went thru several sets. Got replacement from Erie and it's lasted 3-5 Times longer with nary a sign of wear.

Rusted6

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input so far, I know it’s like how log is a piece of sting And how many cars it washes but I’m trying Work out when car wash Tunnel is Classed as still in great condition and not starting to have problems putting aside normal maintenance.
Are you talking 5, 10 20 years ?

MC3033

Reaction score
Equipment is rebuildable and the framing should last as long as parts are available to rebuild the components attached. This is why I prefer bare aluminum or stainless equipment. Typically equipment is replaced when an upgraded version is available or you just don’t like the equipment/manufacturer you have now.

If you go powder coated it looks great on the front end but becomes a headache later on.
Be careful when picking things out like free vacuum arches as they are often made of steel so the lifespan is cut down drastically or becomes a painting headache every year.

IMO the big exception is the conveyor as well as blowers. If I have an older blower that is beat up and the motor goes I’d prefer to replace the entire thing. If a conveyor is having issues at multiple points and some of the more expensive components are at the end of their life I may replace.

Now, just because the equipment lasts a long time doesn’t mean repairs are cheap. A high pressure pump replacement can cost around 50% of the cost of an entire new pump stand.

If this is an express wash typically repairs really jump up year 3. That doesn’t mean you won’t have repairs year 1-2 but year 3 typically gets heavy.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Agreed that conveyors reach a point of repairs exceeding replacement cost. Most everything else with Stainless or aluminum bones lasts indefinitely. I have stuff going back 30 Plus years. As long as parts are available I will continue to maintain them. . Brushes still Spin and Mitters go front to back, side to side or in a circle,

Kanwal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can anyone give me some guidance on life expectancy that a new 100 ft tunnel Should last?
How long do the brushes last? And is there other parts or systems that need replacements?
Cheers and stay safe
HI, I am in the same place as you were in 2020. I looked online where it was mentioned industrial equipment (new one) don't get Finananced for more than 10 years. I don't expect the equipment to last more than 10.
let me know if this was helpful !

Etowah