What's new

Truck/RV/Boat Self Serve

Cbishop

Reaction score
Wondering if there is any interest in washing your own semi/boat/RV.

Want to start a self serve truck wash but not sure if there's enough interest. Found a great potential spot across from a truck stop.

Maybe everyone would prefer someone else do it or just drive thru an automatic

MC3033

Reaction score
Those who have truck height bays at their self serves know that the taller vehicles/equipment trailers bring a ton of revenue.

However, even if you can take all kinds of vehicles at a SS idk if it would financially make sense to do a new builder

Cbishop

Reaction score
Those who have truck height bays at their self serves know that the taller vehicles/equipment trailers bring a ton of revenue.

However, even if you can take all kinds of vehicles at a SS idk if it would financially make sense to do a new builder

The idea was since it's right off a busy hwy (talking service road) and next to a truck stop the trucks coming in would be good and would also cater to RVs.

There's just nothing else out here except in the towns and nothing tall enough. I have 2 truck stops with in 5 miles of each other as well.

The biggest question is would truck drivers prefer SS or prefer drive thru or someone like blue eagle to do it for them

MEP001

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect much revenue from RVs. They're almost all retirees on a fixed income. I know this from years of doing state safety inspections. I would inspect one probably every two weeks, and there would usually be a running light not working. I would only charge $1.50 to replace the bulb, which half the time was just corrosion on the bulb base or a loose ground wire, and not once in five years did someone opt to have me do it. It probably cost them more in gas to go home, fix it, and come back for the re-inspection.

Trucks will spend a lot, especially dump trucks, but you have to have the right location. There needs to be some sort of dirt/gravel/clay yard permanently nearby. Construction doesn't help because it will eventually end. And dump trucks will make a huge mess. The bay will have to be cleaned after almost every truck, or it will build up so fast they won't even be able to get in. My late cousin used to have a 4-bay truck wash, even had one of the first credit card systems. He said they could spend between $50 and $100 washing a truck. This was in the mid-90's when most self-serves were still $1 for at least 4 minutes.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
I could make good $ off a pet wash where I am located, but I have no interest in cleaning up after people and their pets.
Same with a truck wash for me. I have a 2 acre lot, and near a lot of industry. I would not want to clean up after trucks, and the junk they leave behind.
You also need to have the space and your parking lot etc, need to be made to handle 50,000# plus vehicles.
I also believe owner / operators would be the only ones interested in washing their trucks. Corporate drivers won't spend their time or money to wash. But again, that is what I think. I would do some research. Maybe start by asking some of the drivers at the stops how they get washed and who pays?