What's new

Truck boom

Roz

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good boom that would work for a truck bay so 12-14’ long? Bay is 15.5’x30’. Current center bay boom is standard 5’ rotating boom. Looking for 12-14’ boom to place on the wall at center of the length. Only long boom found at KR is 7.5’ center boom. Have seen a few custom made booms but we don’t have any good welders nearby. Thx.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't think you need a boom longer than half the width of the bay. If the boom is 12' and on the wall, you won't be able to reach the side where the boom is mounted. Any reason you can't just mount a 7 1/2' boom in the center?

Roz

Reaction score
I don't think you need a boom longer than half the width of the bay. If the boom is 12' and on the wall, you won't be able to reach the side where the boom is mounted. Any reason you can't just mount a 7 1/2' boom in the center?
Issue is not side washing. Bay is 30’ long. We use a longer HP hose already however any longer and the hose drags on the floor hence we are considering a longer boom about 12’ so it reaches closer to the front and rear of the bay.

MEP001

Reaction score
Issue is not side washing. Bay is 30’ long. We use a longer HP hose already however any longer and the hose drags on the floor hence we are considering a longer boom about 12’ so it reaches closer to the front and rear of the bay.
I feel like you'd be creating a different problem with such a long wall-mount boom. If your trainable employees are going to be using the boom, that shouldn't be an issue, but if it's in a SS bay it's going to be very difficult for your customers to understand and figure out that if the boom is pointing toward the front of the vehicle and it's mounted on the driver's side (for example), they have to go clockwise around it with the gun to get the boom around where they can reach the rear half of the driver's side.

I've seen plenty of 15 x 30' wash bays with a 7-1/2' boom in the middle and there's no difficulty getting around a dump truck without the hose dragging the ground, but they usually have a pretty high roof.

mac

Reaction score
Mosmatic makes a good one. It's articulating and comes in various sizes. Suggest you get it from KR rather than factory. The main part mounts at center of bay and the other part can rotate 360 degrees. Make sure you put a breakaway fitting on the end as it's easy to catch the hose.

OurTown

Reaction score
I have no experience with a really long boom but something that could be an issue is that there will be a lot of leverage on it causing it to break away from its mount. (or just break)

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I have no experience with a really long boom but something that could be an issue is that there will be a lot of leverage on it causing it to break away from its mount. (or just break)

I extended one of the center booms in one of my bays and this happened. The single standard boom spring could not support the additional weight. My guys in my shop had to cut the old weld and reinforce the the mounting plate and install another boom spring in order to support the additional weight added to the end of the boom. 5 years later still holding strong.

With a wall mounted boom I would think you need to make sure the mounting bracket is extra reinforced to support that extra weight out on the end of this boom.

mac

Reaction score
I have bought and installed the Mosmatic booms. You need to look at it on their website. It is sturdy, not anything like a usual boom with an extension.