What's new

Totaled IBA

soapy

Reaction score
The guy in this truck and trailer decided to drive through one of my IBAs today. Trailer was only about 2 feet too tall. After knocking out the door and clearance header he tried to pull straight through the wash. Ended up bending the entire stainless frame of the machine. He had to back out then he went and washed in a SS bay. Never called or anything. Cameras got his LP and good pictures of him. He is a local guy. My distributor was in town any way and looked at machine and called it totaled. Now we start with the insurance process. We have his name and insurance company.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Part I liked was "went over & started washing in SS bay". Wtf

soapy

Reaction score
I will try to speed up the process but I fear it will be a few months before it is up and running. I do have business interuption insurance. My insurance company already told me they will look at last years deposits for the time period to figure lost business etc. More worried about how long it will take to get approval to order the new machine and then how long the wait. The guy did not even pay at the auto cashier just pulled through. He was still at the wash when I got there but I was trying to review the video to see who did it and it had not occurred to me that a trailer would have done the damage. He was gone by the time I saw the video. He did get out of the truck to survey the damage in the auto bay and I have great video of him. The back of his shirt was the local Harley dealer and when we took the picture to them they knew who he was. My suspicion is that he was getting ready to head to Sturgis.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
My distributor just went through this entire process at his personal site installed brand new razor in November 2017 and a guy in a rented box truck high on drugs drove all the way through went through his self serve bay knocked the roof trusses down half the brick wall on equipment room and the new razor got totaled and all his self serve equipment he just got completely up & running this week actually. He installed a new razor edge out the deal new ss equipment all electrical had to get structural engineer involved a true mess new roof ect. I just got better insurance after I seen it in person. Good luck man I don't wish this on nobody at all. At my friends a customer chased him down and the law caught him. "True Story" I feel so sorry for you man.

MEP001

Reaction score
This is why after the auto got torn up by some idiot I bolted a 4x12 across the entrance at the 7'2" clearance.

OurTown

Reaction score
I'm so sorry this happened.

This is why after the auto got torn up by some idiot I bolted a 4x12 across the entrance at the 7'2" clearance.
We are considering a something similar for our new building and auto. We are thinking of a sacrificial arch made of steel I-beam. Even if it was damaged and torn from the concrete at least the auto and building would be saved and be up and running really soon with only a few thousand in damages.

soapy

Reaction score
I had a 2 x 10 bolted across the door at 90 inches. He blew right through it. If I had a heavier restrictor the building block itself could have been damaged or pulled in and the claim would have been bigger.

OurTown

Reaction score
I'm thinking of something away from the building and much heavier duty but maybe I'm dreaming because I don't have any practical experience of the strength required.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Wouldn't help with whoever too out the steel I beam header and Brick at my SS.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
..................My insurance company already told me they will look at last years deposits for the time period to figure lost business etc. .
Went thru this with my tunnel 32 feet of precast ceiling came down . Sadly, as we hear all too often ins co Deny, Delay, Don't pay, and currently suing them. I gave then 3 years P&L and used monthly averages. Loss was 2016. 2013 was about average, 2014 was better and 2015 was about average weather years. They tried to claim since 2015 was lower than 2014 there was a "Downward Trend" and the trend would have continued for 2016 so that the lncome would have been lower than 2015. They backed off after 3 months of arguing. Then in Feb 2017 they told me they were denying any lost income claimed after Sept. 2017 because the entire project for Engineering, shoring, bracing, architectural, Materials, building and equipment install was estimated at 10 weeks. (Took them 2 months to issue a coverage letter.) This was my insurance company.
Hope yours turns out better.

pgrzes

Reaction score
If you have his tag # did you not call the Police? He will be at the least charged with hit n run! If I had this info I would be sure to try to ruin his trip to Sturgis! Causing $150k in damages is a major hit n run charge. Good luck.

soapy

Reaction score
We have his tag and identity, He hung up on the police when they called him on his cell phone. Police issued a warrant for his arrest and he will be given a hit and run citation. I even have him on video getting out of his truck in the bay so he won't be able to say his truck was stolen. There was a also a passenger in his truck and between the 2 of them there were not enough brains working to use common sense. The police already knew his insurance company.

soapy

Reaction score
Adjuster is set to come by at 7 am on Monday morning. I have been assigned a forensic accountant for the lost revenue portion. SOunds like Earl is spot on with his response. If I could get the insurance to act fast and only be down 10 weeks I am not sure if it will be worth getting my accountant involved with even trying to get lost revenue money.

Etowah

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If I could get the insurance to act fast and only be down 10 weeks I am not sure if it will be worth getting my accountant involved with even trying to get lost revenue money.
You shouldn't need much if any assistance from an accountant. If you are using your own computer system such as Quicken or Quickbooks, simply run monthly P&Ls for the last 3 years on month by month and compare income and expenses. If you are not using your own system and you do not give your on accountant monthly data you will need to do some work. You could buy a Quicken / Quickbooks program and enter checks / deposits from the last 3 years from your bank statements and that will give you what you need.

soapy

Reaction score
Thanks Earl. I am using Quicken so it should be easier than I thought. It seems like my insurance company is really trying to get the replacement expedited ASAP so I may not be down as long as mentioned.

soapy

Reaction score
The insurance company already approved the claim and is sending roughly half of the total amount so I can get it ordered ASAP. When installation is complete they will send out the last portion. Then I can can work on lost income etc by comparing numbers from prior year. Overall I am impressed with my insurance and their response.

OurTown

Reaction score
That's great! Two weeks seems pretty quick compared to some of the horror stories heard on this forum.