What's new

Threaded stainless steel pipe

MEP001

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a supplier who will cut to specified length and thread stainless pipe? I ordered some from Hamel almost two years ago and still haven't seen it.

My idea is to run pipe through all the clamp fittings in the Vector boom and have only two short pieces at the elbow to replace, rather than spend half a day and $500 on hose to replace it all when one breaks.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Mep, I am sure you have pipe dies and a pipe vice around so for you to cut and thread the s/s all you need to do is replace the die teeth with ones made for s/s and use the thread cutting oil called " ROCOIL " It is the best cutting oil for stainless I have ever used.
Also as you know to use the slowest speed available if useing an electric power machine or get a speed reducer for the machine.
The main thing is to keep the dies cool!

MEP001

Reaction score
robtl said:
Mep, I am sure you have pipe dies and a pipe vice around so for you to cut and thread the s/s
I don't have the tools, they're very expensive, and stainless steel is difficult to thread. I don't have a lot to do, I just need 4 pieces under five feet long.

MikeV

Reaction score
Contact Mira at AVW. I know they use treaded s.s.pipe. She can tell you where they have it done or may even do it for you.

Chiefs

Reaction score
What size pipe? What wall thickness? Eexactly how many pieces and what are the exact lengths of each.

Bill

DavidM

Reaction score
I considered doing this with our Vector but because of the difficulty of finding the pipe I went with plan B. Instead of using one long hose I now use 5 hoses. There is a hose from the wall to the first boom, a hose between the booms, and a hose from the boom to the machine along with a hose in each of the booms. It may not be as permanent as stainless but at our site the part of the hose that flexed is the part that always failed. Now we can replace just the section that fails. We were able to use sections of the old hose to make up several of the new hoses. We have not yet had any of the straight sections of hose fail.

David

MEP001

Reaction score
MikeV said:
Contact Mira at AVW.
Is that www.avwequipment.com ? If they're like other car wash equipment manufacturers, they either won't do it at all or they'll have an outrageous markup.

Chiefs said:
What size pipe? What wall thickness? Eexactly how many pieces and what are the exact lengths of each.
3/4" Sch. 40...unless you're offering to make them for me, the rest is irrelevant to my quest.

DavidM said:
Instead of using one long hose I now use 5 hoses.
I thought about that, but I can't find anyone to make the hoses with stainless fittings. Even if the hoses last, the fittings won't, and they'll either corrode through or rust together. I'm looking for a permanent solution.

JIMT

Reaction score
McMASTER-CARR.COM sell many sizes and lengths of stainless steel pipe as well as about anything you might want. It is a great site and they will ship the same day.
JIMT

Bob Koo

Reaction score
I just got doing my Vectors with piping arrangement that you discussed. I used 3/4 Stainless pipe. It took just under 20' for each unit.

I can thread the pipe for you, but don't know what the transportation cost would be. I have a Ridgid 1224 Threader with Stainless dies and the threader has an automatic oiler.

It could be possibly be sent via UPS.

If you want to pursue this just sent me an e-mail. I really don't want to be in the business of retros but could help.

MEP001

Reaction score
Bob Koo said:
I just got doing my Vectors with piping arrangement that you discussed. I used 3/4 Stainless pipe. It took just under 20' for each unit.
I knew I should've patented that idea when I had the chance. Next you'll be eliminating the hot water tank and pump inlet valves with a wall-mounted Paloma on the presoak water line to the manifold.

Thanks for the offer - if I can't find someone who is in the business of supplying cut and threaded lengths of stainless pipe, I may take you up on it.

MEP001

Reaction score
JIMT said:
McMASTER-CARR.COM sell many sizes and lengths of stainless steel pipe as well as about anything you might want.
Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can make to length.

MikeV

Reaction score
Have you considered using 3/4" stainless steel tubinh with compression fittings. Very easy to do.
Yes, that is avwequip.com

Jerry33

Reaction score
Have you considered using 3/4" stainless steel tubinh with compression fittings. Very easy to do.
Yes, that is avwequip.com
The Stainless Tubing and Compression fittings sounds like a workable solution to one of my problems but the web site given, avwequip.com, did not compute. i tried to google the info but couldn't find what you were talking about. can you repost the website? thanks, jerry

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Have you tried pipe companies in any local industrial towns? I had some 1" schedule 40 SS cut to length and threaded . They had it ready in a couple of hours.

MEP001

Reaction score
There's only one local company that has it, and they don't thread it. I can't find anyone locally who will thread stainless pipe even if I get it and bring it to them.

MikeV

Reaction score
JM, I am a distributor for AVW and I install their equipment as well as Specialty Equipment (Futura Wash Systems)
I like AVW equipment because it is easy to work on, easy to operate and very dependable and all stainless steel at a cost less or comparable to the galvanized and aluminum stuff. Their slogan is "Simplicity in Motion, Motion that Works."
I have installed their equipment in numerous Car Spa locations here in Texas.

Bob Koo

Reaction score
Here is a picture of one of my Vectors that has been converted to SS pipe. It is 3/4" that was threaded and coupler welded on the ends. Welding the couplers may have been overkill, but they don't leak.

Pardon the rust, these units are going on 7 years old and were installed in 2001. They were first year units with serial numbers: 98 & 99. I got to say they have been work horses though.

Attachments

Dirtychuck

Reaction score
McMaster-Carr stocks various lengths of SS pipe. A 5 ft long piece of 316 SS is part # 4816K54 and is $77.37. They will also do a special order for an up charge. They are not cheap, but they have almost anything you can imagine in stock. If you can find anyone locally, you would save money especially when you add in the cost of shipping.

I use a smaller steel supply house that is local for pipe, etc. They are happy to cut and thread pipe for a small fee.