What's new

The detailing & auto dealer relationship

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
I am writing an article about this-- does anyone have any input-- how important is this relationship? Is this something that needs pursuing?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i think it can be an additional revenue stream for the right detail shop.

my shop is retail only with very occasional dealer work. usually we are used by the dealers when their staff can't handle the workload. the relationship is normally temporary; as soon as the dealership hires new staff, our shop is forgotten.

dealers normally don't care too much about the 'how' of detailing. they focus on speed and price.

one former employee went to work at a dealership. they built a new facility. they did not ask for his input in setting up or designing the detail area. they have a garden hose and no specialized washing or detailing equipment at a BRAND NEW car dealership. this should give some insight into the 'dealership mentality' concerning car detailing.

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
The relationship is more important that actually doing a good job! The stronger the relationship with ALL DEPARTMENT MANAGERS, the better you will fair for the long term. This can be done in several different ways.....free details to all managers / lunch & dinner for the specific departments you service / bird dog commissions for referrals / Christmas gifts / take the Manager out to lunch or dinner or even a sports game / offer specialized training or tips to their prep guys....

Etowah