What's new

T handle security enhancements

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, we are finely are getting some smarter, more experienced thieves in our areas. My Coleman vaults with Medeco T handle locks were defeated quite quickly by some thieves. The vaults are recessed. Without getting into details I need to block the keyway with a hockey puck lock or similar. Because of the recess I don't even think I need a lock shroud (but could be wrong). Coleman sells a door retrofit kit but wondering if there is another off the shelf way to do this. I also have some other T handles that aren't recessed that will need protection, so they will need a shroud.

By the way, if you have T handle locks on your vaults, I would recommend blocking the keyway if you haven't already.

MEP001

Reaction score
I like the Coleman double-plate guard system, but I've got an idea that only uses one plate. It would have a puck lock bolted to one plate with a tab on just one side, and a lock tab welded to the safe drawer. I use some Cobra Lock pucks on my vacuums that take the same lock as the T-handle so you could have the puck and the T keyed alike, and the puck can be locked without the key. I've already got most of it ready for production with Dralco, they just need a big enough order.

bighead

Reaction score
i used these guys on my hamiltons after one gthe puck locks have ot drilled out... no one has messed with them since

IDK if they make a kit for the coleman paystations, but you might be able to adapt another kit they make. Supposedly they are harder to drill as well, but the puck lock on top of the barrel one makes it all look intimidating enough no one has tried thus far...

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have the Coleman secondary plate with the completely covered Hockey Puck lock I also welded a square Chunk of metal on Vault doors with a hole in it for the Hockey puck lock with a circular shroud around it with hole for the key but I like the coleman plate covering the surface of the lock better,

Randy

Reaction score
We added hockey puck locks to some of the ACW's and coin vaults in our area for added protection. We also replaced the 1/2" Hex locking bolt on the inside with a bolt that only we have the tool to turn it. I.B washincars was a selling a special bolt a while back, I don't know if he still has any left. With the right knowledge the Hockey puck locks are pretty easy to get off. I had a Hockey puck lock that someone messed up it, took me about 3 or 4 minutes to get it off.

Attachments

STXCW

Reaction score
i used these guys on my hamiltons after one gthe puck locks have ot drilled out... no one has messed with them since

IDK if they make a kit for the coleman paystations, but you might be able to adapt another kit they make. Supposedly they are harder to drill as well, but the puck lock on top of the barrel one makes it all look intimidating enough no one has tried thus far...
X2 on these guys. We were hit pretty strong a few years ago and finally figured out how they were getting in and we were shocked. We were able to replicate how the thieves opened our vaults with T handles and medeco lock in less than 30 seconds. Once we installed the LAI locks they tried a couple more times and gave up. Haven't had an issues since.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
X2 on these guys. We were hit pretty strong a few years ago and finally figured out how they were getting in and we were shocked. We were able to replicate how the thieves opened our vaults with T handles and medeco lock in less than 30 seconds. Once we installed the LAI locks they tried a couple more times and gave up. Haven't had an issues since.
What particular product did you use on your T handle? The coleman door and lock is going to cost about $150 per vault. Because my vaults are recessed I think literally a tab welded on the drawer with a hockey puck to block the keyway would stop this. I don't even think a shroud around the hockey puck is necessary

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
. With the right knowledge the Hockey puck locks are pretty easy to get off. I had a Hockey puck lock that someone messed up it, took me about 3 or 4 minutes to get it off.
Yep, that is why I like the option of having that entire lock covered like the Colemn doors.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What particular product did you use on your T handle? The coleman door and lock is going to cost about $150 per vault. Because my vaults are recessed I think literally a tab welded on the drawer with a hockey puck to block the keyway would stop this. I don't even think a shroud around the hockey puck is necessary
See Randy's post above - It is necessary. Get Tab Welded to the Drawer and plate with shroud that goes over it.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't even think a shroud around the hockey puck is necessary
The reason Coleman covers the lock with a shroud is because it's made of cast zinc. It also protects the lock from being knocked off with a sledgehammer.

OurTown

Reaction score

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
OK guys, I'm taking the path of least resistance and trying the LAI locks first. I installed them last week. It's about a ten minute process. I'll let you guys know if they defeat these. If it stops them I'm happy. I really don't want to fool with a security plate and second lock if these alone will stop the problem.

LAI customer service is great, too. I told them off the bat that I was an end user and would only be buying a few. They sent me two free sample cylinders and a key to make sure I got the right length. Shipping from California was less than a week, and the total cost for six cylinders and keys was around $200. FYI- the Coleman T handles take the longer tab models.

Mattwash

Reaction score
I have the Coleman secondary plate with the completely covered Hockey Puck lock I also welded a square Chunk of metal on Vault doors with a hole in it for the Hockey puck lock with a circular shroud around it with hole for the key but I like the coleman plate covering the surface of the lock better,
Earl, I know this is an old thread but wondering if you had an image of how you did this. I just did a thread on my new Hamilton changer and I’m looking to enhance the security of it. I’ve casted it in a giant concrete block.

Attachments

Last edited:

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
This got pulled to the top so I thought I would update. Either the LAI locks work or they haven't been back. I frankly don't know which.

They originally defeated the T handle lock on one bay in less than 30 seconds. Many of you are familiar with the plug lock method, this is not it.