What's new

Stumped by electrical problem

washnshine

Reaction score
Nothing to do with my wash- this is in a house. Have a friend who has a ceiling light and fan suddenly not working. They are on separate circuits(different rooms too - not a combo unit) and everything else on both circuits is on is working. No power to the box where the switch is for either the light or fan. Checked breakers- they are fine, but the fact that other things in each of the circuits are working is a mystery.

Any thoughts? This has never not worked for decades and now, two separate fixtures on two separate circuits, and there is no power to either of the switches, but everything else on the both circuits works - I’m stumped.

OurTown

Reaction score
You need to find the box that the power comes from to see if there is a bad connection or broken wire. Is this an older house that this circuit has been added after it has was built?

washnshine

Reaction score
Yes. Older house. Not sure if it is an added circuit or not. Thanks for the reply. Will trace it back.

OurTown

Reaction score
Many times people don't know what they are doing when adding a ceiling fan and the wires are not connected properly. Take the ceiling fan down to get access to the box and I bet you find the issue there. If not then check the receptacle boxes in that room for a newer wire coming out of it to power it. If the circuit was added later then instead there could be a junction box in the attic, basement or crawl space that it is fed from. Are you checking with a non-contact tester? About how old is the house? Are we talking 1980's? 1950's? 1800's?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Maybe someone wired the switch to just break the ground. This could explain no power at that point. Keep in mind that I am not an electrician and haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately. My family was shocked when the learned that!

washnshine

Reaction score
Thank you all. Traced it back to the junction box and saw the hot wire worked itself out of a wire nut. All is fixed. Thanks again!

JustClean

Reaction score
I know of a disgruntled electrician who installed a hidden timer in the wall that disconnected power randomly. Fun finding this! :)