What's new

Sonny's empty promise

Chris C

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem but Sonny's is a "yes man" company. We were looking to upgrade our tunnel controller to communicate with our Unitec pay stations and Sonny's was on the top of the list. We went to the big car wash conventions and talked with several company's and Sonny's seemed to be the only one who offered the options we were looking for. Nick from Sonny's promised us they could make everything work that I asked about because their software was all done in-house. Their show special was $299/month for 2 years for the point of sale and that was it. All of our current info would be transfered to new servers and we could operate immediately. Everything seemed to good to be true but I was assured it was easy to make everything talk.
After spending $$$$$.$$ to upgrade both of our washes, we started installing the tunnel controller in our south location and immediately noticed we had issues. We flew one of their software engineers up to help with the data transfer. He said the data transfer wouldn't work because we didn't have sonny's pay stations. Funny thing about this new tunnel controller and POS is they were originally designed around Unitec sentinel pay stations because sonny's didn't have their own yet. So ours should work. After waiting for the software engineers to sort that out it was issue after issue. After a week or so of talking with them, we got most of the bugs ironed out. I was told multiple time,"we can't do that, who told you we can?" by Sonny's. I was as frustrated as they were, but we were able to come up with solutions to most of the problems.
The biggest problem came in the form of an email saying that this system would now cost us $350/month for the rest of it's life, for each location. I specifically asked Nick at the car wash convention in Nashville if there were any monthly fee's and he said no. This was the main reason I went with sonny's. Emails went back and forth with Nick asking him where I signed up for this and he said I did at the show but couldn't come up with any paperwork to prove it. He threatened to erase my servers if I didn't pay claiming the information on them was property of Sonny's. This fee was a license for the software they were using.
The point of this is get things in writing. Their sales team was great in Nashville and seemed very straight forward but now I know they will say what they need to if it puts money in their pocket. I'm counting the days before I get an email or an error message on my screen and Sonny's says Unitec is no longer compatible with their tunnel controller and we are forced to purchase their pay stations. 5 of those should be cheap.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Seems like a communication breakdown.

FYI, every major POS provider charges a monthly fee. I've been paying Sonny's $350 per month per month for over a decade.

Chris C

Reaction score
While I was shopping around for pay stations for our in-bay automatics 5 years ago, I researched who charged a maintanence fee and who didn't. When I was looking for a new tunnel controller, I searched for something with a PLC so updating down the road wouldn't be a problem. 3 company's at the time offered that technology but according to the sales person, Sonny's was the only one who wouldn't charge a monthly fee because they did everything in house.
I well aware of the fee other company's charge, but I was assured there wouldn't be any with Sonny's. So we signed contracts in April to purchase all of the equipment for both tunnels. We received the equipment in October and started the install. By late November we had both washes up and running with most of the bugs worked out. In January, we received an email asking us to sign the monthly fee contract. The timing just seems terrible. Seems they should have given us the contract up front or before we installed anything. It was an unexpected expense and the threats of removing everything from our servers because it belonged to them was completely uncalled for.

mac

Reaction score
Welcome to car washing and to Sonnys. Since I don’t sell equipment and service I can say anything I care to now. They have been trying to be the Walmart of car washing for years now. That means poor service and made in China. I am located on south FL so I’m aware of how they operate. They are flooding the market with the express conveyors all over the lace. Most will go belly up in a couple of years. Sooner if that idiot Biden gets sworn in.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
Welcome to car washing and to Sonnys. Since I don’t sell equipment and service I can say anything I care to now. They have been trying to be the Walmart of car washing for years now. That means poor service and made in China. I am located on south FL so I’m aware of how they operate. They are flooding the market with the express conveyors all over the lace. Most will go belly up in a couple of years. Sooner if that idiot Biden gets sworn in.
I'm looking at all the express conveyors popping up, owners putting in millions and millions, and know they are going to fizzle out so quickly. Sonny's has the sales team selling the pot of gold.

mac

Reaction score
I'm looking at all the express conveyors popping up, owners putting in millions and millions, and know they are going to fizzle out so quickly. Sonny's has the sales team selling the pot of gold.
They have a “show” site in south FL that they bring buyers to. And the site rocks. What they don’t tell people is that the closest wash to that is 20 miles away. Lotta people going to donate washes to a bank. In the Ft Myers area where I live there were already six conveyors in a small area. Now there are at least 12.

Etowah