What's new

Softener Brine Tank Issue?

Rudy

Reaction score
Our water is checked for hardness at the start of every day. Typically, we can run 13,000 gallons before the hardness starts edging up. Recently, we've been starting to get hard water at 8,000 gallons....well before the calculated regeneration point.

It's been a while since we cleaned the brine tank.

My question....would a dirty brine tank cause the resin "recharge" to be diminished? I'm thinking that perhaps a buildup in the bottom of the brine tank could cause the water to be "less salty"....therefore causing an incomplete regen.

Am I on the right track???

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Municipal water districts often have multiple sources. This is the time of year when many districts change sources which can impact hardness.
Test your raw water to see if it has increased hardness. If so then you'll need to modify your softener's settings.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I dont think it can cause the water to be less salty, saturated is saturated. But a dirty brine tank can either completely or partially block the suction tube, causing the symptoms you described. Been there, done that. I clean out the brine tank every 3 or 4 years.

I realize you didnt ask, and I suspect you know this, but the resin doesnt last forever either - you may need to replace it.

Rudy

Reaction score
The wash opened in 1993. Resin changed in 2011....

Last edited:

STXCW

Reaction score
If its dirty I take it you are using solar salt

Rudy

Reaction score
Nope...use the good stuff.

I'm going to clean the tank in the next week....and I'll let you know what I find.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Clean brine tank. Check incoming water hardness. Watch to make sure there is good brine draw when the unit is regenerating. If not, You may need to clean the brine valve or injector.

MEP001

Reaction score
Also measure the brine refill. Once the tank is clean and empty, put enough water in it to cover the pickup, then let it run the brine draw until it's empty, then let it do a full brine refill. Mark the level, let it draw the tank empty again, then with the tube disconnected measure the brine fill. I use a plastic gallon pitcher, I let it fill the pitcher and dump it into the tank. It should refill to the mark and you'll know how much water goes to the tank. This tests for the correct refill rate from the softener and tests the valve in the tank to make sure it's not restricting flow.

This is the kind of stuff I would write into a really detailed car wash manual.

cooll903

Reaction score
i think i have a brine tank issue just not sure just started to notice that it is using more salt than normal. not sure what if any problems that there are.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's probably not a brine tank issue. That will in almost all cases cause it to use too little salt. There could be a problem with the softener itself overfilling the brine tank. Depending on the type, when the unit is in standby/service there should be no flow to the tank if you disconnect the tube to it.