What's new

So I contacted the governor's office...

Twodose

Reaction score
First by email to get a list of A list of business types that may continue physical operations, in relation to the Governor's Executive Order mandating closures for COVID-19 mitigation. Self-Serve Carwash was not in that list, so I called them and left a message the other day and the person that called back said that it is a grey area and not listed specifically and that I should close the business until I fill out a Request for “Waiver/Exemption to Business Closure", and it get approved. I am in Pennsylvania.

Are businesses allowed to continue in-person operations while requesting a waiver?
Businesses that have requested a waiver should comply with the Governor’s Order and suspend in-person operations until a waiver is approved and provided.

Last edited:

Sloburban

Reaction score
I'm in Delaware and I emailed COVID19FAQ@delaware.gov and received two responses.

(1)- "Car washes are included under automotive repair and maintenance and are considered essential businesses"

(2)- "The NAICS code is 8111. It is on the essential list."

I am open for business

I live in Pa. and notice some washes closed near me so maybe different guidelines apply.

Twodose

Reaction score
I wonder if the NAICS codes are the same for every state, I mean it stands for north America industry classification system so I would think it would apply the same to every state.

811111 - General Automotive Repair

811192 - Car Washes

They didn’t give me a definitive answer like you got, only that is was a grey area, and the lady who left the message sounded very unsure about what she was telling me.

Also did they list the naics codes on the list of business that can stay open?, because in PA it lists only the business no naics codes.

Interesting because not one touched this post and that seemed a little unusual to me, but I am currently open and so are the other washes in my area. I would close if I had to, its not busy like it should be this time of year anyway.

washnvac

Reaction score
Delaware actually did list the business codes--8111 is listed as essential. My tax return lists 811190; so we are open. In Maryland it just says automotive repair and maint; so I am staying open there. I have a mini storage next to one wash in Maryland, and they specifically said self storage can stay open. Of course, no one is really coming out at this point. So after a snowless Winter, we are going to lose the pollen season as well because everyone is staying home.

I guess it is not a good time to sell???

MEP001

Reaction score
I guess it is not a good time to sell???
Not if you want to get a good price, but if you want out from under it bad enough there are people ready to make a lowball offer.

Sloburban

Reaction score
I wonder if the NAICS codes are the same for every state, I mean it stands for north America industry classification system so I would think it would apply the same to every state.

811192 - Car Washes

They didn’t give me a definitive answer like you got, only that is was a grey area, and the lady who left the message sounded very unsure about what she was telling me.

Also did they list the naics codes on the list of business that can stay open?, because in PA it lists only the business no naics codes.

Interesting because not one touched this post and that seemed a little unusual to me, but I am currently open and so are the other washes in my area. I would close if I had to, its not busy like it should be this time of year anyway.
I was advised to go to DELBIZ.com/coronavirus to see what businesses were "essential" They are only looking for the first four numbers of your NAICS

Sloburban

Reaction score

811192 - Car Washes

IMG_1302.PNG

jfmoran

Reaction score
I was advised to go to DELBIZ.com/coronavirus to see what businesses were "essential" They are only looking for the first four numbers of your NAICS
I'm in Delaware and I emailed COVID19FAQ@delaware.gov and received two responses.

(1)- "Car washes are included under automotive repair and maintenance and are considered essential businesses"

(2)- "The NAICS code is 8111. It is on the essential list."

I am open for business

I live in Pa. and notice some washes closed near me so maybe different guidelines apply.

I manage washes in PA, Chester and Montgomery county and we are open. We closed our full serve wash. Any washes you see closed are voluntary.

Twodose

Reaction score
Well PA came out with a revised list on 04/01/20 and this time they listed the naics codes and 8111 is listed under automotive repair and maintenance so good for now, but they can always revise it. I never shut down nor filled out a waiver as was suggested in the original post.