What's new

Siphoning Hydrominder

Rudy

Reaction score
I have my stainless mixing tanks above the chemical barrels that sit on the floor. The hydrominders are approx. chest high.

My polish bucket keeps overflowing. I've replaced my foot valves several times....but the problem remains.

Could there be an issue with the hydrominder?

Do I have a batch of bad foot valves?

Should I add an inline check valve in addition to the foot valve?

MEP001

Reaction score
You should have a hole in the tube from the Hydrominder to the diluted chemical tank so it can't siphon if the foot valve fails.

It's most likely the hose has gotten hard and it's not sealing to the foot valve barb. I put a zip-tie or a hose clamp on them all now, a zip tie if the hose is fairly new and pliable.

OurTown

Reaction score
I put the hole (about 1/8" diameter) in the discharge tube just below the flow restrictor so it is well above the high mixed chemical level. I have drilled holes with regular drill bits and that doesn't seem the best unless you use a larger drill bit to compensate for the soft tubing being pushed out of the way instead of cutting. Also I tried a utility knife to cut a triangle and that was sketchy. Has anyone tried a nice sharp brad point drill bit? That may be my next thing to try.

MEP001

Reaction score
I cut a notch in the hose and it works well. I make the first cut straight in, the second up a little, then the liquid that comes out of the cut goes down. I've seen a hole drilled with the liquid spewing straight out which splatters everywhere.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
You should have a hole in the tube from the Hydrominder to the diluted chemical tank so it can't siphon if the foot valve fails.

It's most likely the hose has gotten hard and it's not sealing to the foot valve barb. I put a zip-tie or a hose clamp on them all now, a zip tie if the hose is fairly new and pliable.
Spring clamps. I was using a mini torch to hear the hose to remove the foot valves. Keep thinking that I had a bad batch of FV's. Started putting spring clamps on everything and fixed the issue.

Reaction score
As stated above first thing drill hole in disharge tube
then put a hoseclamp or zip tie on to tighten hose to hyrdro and foot valve
it is possible to get a bad foot valve or a hole box of bad ones i use to use the blue ones no i use the little white ones. You can try to blow thru it and see if its holding or leaking the foot valve that is.

While were on this subject should the feed line be completely filled or is there a big air bubble sometimes, i feel it should be completely filled with no air bubble, resulting in more water in mixture till product fills the gap

Rudy

Reaction score
My supply of foot valves was faulty. One blue, one grey....bad from the start.

OurTown

Reaction score

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I put the hole (about 1/8" diameter) in the discharge tube just below the flow restrictor so it is well above the high mixed chemical level. I have drilled holes with regular drill bits and that doesn't seem the best unless you use a larger drill bit to compensate for the soft tubing being pushed out of the way instead of cutting. Also I tried a utility knife to cut a triangle and that was sketchy. Has anyone tried a nice sharp brad point drill bit? That may be my next thing to try.
I cut a notch in the hose and it works well. I make the first cut straight in, the second up a little, then the liquid that comes out of the cut goes down. I've seen a hole drilled with the liquid spewing straight out which splatters everywhere.
To cut the notch a little easier, I use a side cutter. Like Mep stated, make the cut at an angle so the spray points down. Easy peasy!

As you stated, drilling the soft tubing is about futile! Maybe if you heated the bit to about 2000° it would work better! ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Whizzotech-C...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3TNN77089JEP566AY34M

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
We started to use the Dema foot valves instead of the Hydro brand. The jury is still out if they are any better but they are about half price. The only issue so far is that they are about a 1/16" small for the 1/2" ID hose so you need newer pliable hose and a clamp. On the 1/4" ID hose they fit fine.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-28069-dema-10016v-foot-valve-with-viton-seal.aspx
I discovered the same thing when I bought a few to try...Too small to fit a 1/2" ID hose. These actually fit a lot better and I have yet to have one fail...Plus they are a little cheaper.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-12976-plastic-14-foot-valve-with-check-strainer.aspx

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I have recently begun to drill a hole in the discharge tube, then install a small hydrominder push-in fitting in to keep it open.