What's new

Single IBA in rented room

Greengorilla

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Wanted to ask your opinion on my situation.
Don't want to bother you with long read so here it is:
I don't have experience in car wash industry but stumbled upon rent ad. There's a automotive center with multiple rooms for car related businesses such as dealership, lubing, repair, parts retail etc. And one of the rooms is car wash room. This room is drivethru and would fit single tunnel or IBA. I'm thinking about single 2step IBA(separate washing and drying) no atendant. The building is in retail area(lots of stores there and 1 sportcomplex) positions right on the 40mph street but carwash room is at the back of the building.
Rent for the room is 2000$ plus utilities, rent agreement is binding for 7 years. Would it work if I fit used equipment for around 50k?
Town population is 110k. Cpd of the street is 1k but capture rates in our area are pretty high as there are tunnels on streets of 2500cpd with no marketing that do very well.
Deal or no deal? Thanks in advance

mac

Reaction score
Well good luck with that. Let's take this piece by piece. First with no experience with washing cars, you will be rolling the dice big time buying used equipment. Even a free machine will cost you around $25,000 to transport, install, do necessary bay changes and utilities. Then you have a used machine with no warranty. Next who will run this? I have put several machines in rental bays and they all failed. The other people who work there won't care about your wash. In many gas station washes the clerks hate the wash because it's the biggest source of complaints. Then after the rent term is up, what do you have? The car count isn't that good. Other than all that though you will have bought you a job.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No Deal. It's pretty foolish to think that with zero car wash experience you will install a used automatic car wash into a rented location and make any money at all. The car wash business is challenging and complicated. Many of us got our experience working at a car wash for someone else before we took the plunge. I would suggest doing that. This way, you will have some idea about the business, what it takes, and if you like it or not.

soonermajic

Reaction score
$2k/mo for a business that was NONEXISTENT? + it's located @ THE BACK?!! You have zero experience, only 1k cpd traffic?
Not only no, but HEL NO!
Remember what PT Barnum said....