What's new

Shoes??????

pgrzes

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before. I tried a search couldnt find anything. What is everyone in cold climates wearing for boots?? After approx. 15yrs wearing ONLY Rocky boots, I would strongly urge anyone thinking about buying them not to. 2 of last 3 pair the soles just do not stay together. I love(D) the boots, warm, dry and lightweight. But dont last at all anyomore. And the real killer is their customer support says oh well. Been reading a lot on them and everyone is saying the same thing. I just ordered a pair of Danners, I hope they are as good as what I am reading. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
In below freezing temps the only boots that keep my feet warm and dry are the military mickey mouse boots. They wear like iron. I've had 3 pairs in 40 years! When temps are above freezing to about 50 degrees I like the "muck" brand boots.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I've been using ECCO II #42 high boot for 5-6 yrs.
Their gortex, waterproof, light and last a long time.
Their not cheap but I love them. My feet and legs don't hurt or get tired with them.
Just bought my second pair, this time I bought them on Ebay, much cheaper than Nordstroms.

http://www.zappos.com/ecco-track-ii-high-bison-leather-bison-oiled-nubuck?zlfid=111
Those are exactly what I wear. Very lightweight and comfortable. You can send them back to the factory to be resoled for about $75. They recondition the leather and give you new laces also. I love mine.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been wearing Magellan walking shoes; I just bought some Gore-Tex lined, waterproof hiking boots in that brand and they're warm and comfortable. I had water spray freezing onto the toes of the boots while I was working and my feet weren't cold. They were only $55. The walkers last about 8 months - if these last that long I'll be happy. I used to spend $150-250 on good boots, but they weren't as good a value given most would barely last a year, usually weren't comfortable and would only be waterproof for the first couple months.

prabax

Reaction score
This is the first time i've heard lots of comments on Shoes .

Eric H

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Timberland Pro direct-attach boots just for working in my garden so that I would not wreck my expensive CW boots. When my "good" boots wore out I started wearing the Timberlands until I had time to go to the expensive boot store to get the "good" ones. Well, the $80 Timberlands outlast, out wear, and stay waterproof after over a year of getting soaked every day. I generally replace them once a year just because they are only $80 and start to look a little marred up after a year. The pair I have on now are 14 months old.

BTW: Someone mentioned Muck boots above. They are great for cleaning pits and standing in ankle high water/snow/slush. but are not sturdy enough for daily CW use. When I had my other boots I would wear the muck boots to clean the bays then put the regular work boots on. If you can find then I would recommend picking up a pair of Muck boots too.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Thanks Jon I did not know that.
I've had my first pair for over 5 yrs. and they still feel great but the sole is worn out and the thread is starting to break but I still can't get throw them out.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Timberland Pro direct-attach boots just for working in my garden so that I would not wreck my expensive CW boots. When my "good" boots wore out I started wearing the Timberlands until I had time to go to the expensive boot store to get the "good" ones. Well, the $80 Timberlands outlast, out wear, and stay waterproof after over a year of getting soaked every day. I generally replace them once a year just because they are only $80 and start to look a little marred up after a year. The pair I have on now are 14 months old.

BTW: Someone mentioned Muck boots above. They are great for cleaning pits and standing in ankle high water/snow/slush. but are not sturdy enough for daily CW use. When I had my other boots I would wear the muck boots to clean the bays then put the regular work boots on. If you can find then I would recommend picking up a pair of Muck boots too.
EricH: what works in the East may work out West. I like the $80 Price, too. Thanks! Daddy needs a new pair of boots.:cool:

Baywash

Mike
Reaction score
Funny this discussion came up. I set out a couple months ago to find the perfect pair of car wash shoes. I think I have come pretty close. I bought a pair of "Merrell" mid type boots. I think the name is the "continuum"...they are mostly rubber, but very light, warm, comfortable and most importantly, dry. I think I paid $112 for them on line. I'm in the midwest and during all the cold weather this past week or so, they kept my feet warm and dry with just a pair of regular athletic sock on. Don't know about their customer support, but the boot seems to be wearing very well.

jprb

Reaction score
I have had different brands (Columbia, Rocky) of waterproof hiking boots for most of the year. I've got a pair of Rocky Lynx insulated boots for the cold weather.

pgrzes, Rocky will replace the boots that are defective like you mentioned. I have sent a couple of pairs back to them over the years, and they replaced them without question.

JPRB

Chiefs

Reaction score
I worn Merritt's for 4-5 years now. Thye come in a multitude of varieties. The I wear have the GORTEX and the traction has been outstanding as have their longevity. One pair I wear is 5 years old and their still as good as the day I boughtthem, less a little tread. I wouldn't buy any other kind.

pgrzes

Reaction score
jprb I have in the past had a pair that they took care of without problems. Recently I had problems with 2 consecutive pairs. Rocky said "OH WELLL" Dicks sells old models nothing we can do. I have been wearing them for 15 yrs. Do some searching on the internet, something has changed within the company and unfortunately the consumer is screwed. Just got my Danners, sounds as if they are a long trusted brand.

Jim Caudill

Self Serve Operator
Reaction score
I realize the OP was looking for input regarding winter boots, but not wishing to start another thread about footwear, I'll simply say that for most of the year I wear "Shoes for Crews". Almost all the restaurant folks require them for their "slip resistant" quality. I like them because they seem to stand up to getting wet and drying out repeatedly.

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
I wear the same shoe as Baywash "Mike". Merrell Continuum. Excellent dry light gortex shoe. Has air cushion built-in. I thought it was going to be a wear out fast wet regular shoe, but was surprised.

pgrzes

Reaction score
well first week with the DANNER Proghorne 1000 gm thinsulate. very comfy. light. Has not been REAL COLD, but feet have been happy. will update after this next week is supposed to be cold.

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
No. Those are all high cut. I wanted the low cut. Takes too long to lace up. If you wear it all day, you don't need to carry all the extra weight. The style is shoe not boot. I typed in Continuum and a page of them came up. It's listed as "Moab" Gore Tex XCR. $95.00 It looks like your feet will get wet, but trust me they won't. Very light weight. I put them through hell today. Had mud all over them and took the high pressure wand, and sprayed right on the cloth webbing. My feet are as dry as a pop corn fart. :)

Last edited: