What's new

Service Company Concerns

DiamondWash

Reaction score
A lot of companies I have been dealing with lately have this "ONE" tech that has all the answers and experience, and when I talk with anybody else at these companies it seems they might be able to help with my issues but come up short on solutions or haven't been trained to work on this equipment. What happens when these seasoned veterans of knowledge are gone and companies don't have that type of support in-house anymore. Sorry for the rambling I'm just tired of hearing "he's on vacation" or "they no longer work here".

1600722929648.png

washnshine

Reaction score
I know. Even when you get a new roof put on your house or some bigger job like that, there is one guy with all the skill and knowledge and everyone else is basically a helper. It’s way beyond a crew chief and crew - it’s more like one roofer and whoever else showed up that day.

OurTown

Reaction score
I see this a lot especially with the smaller companies which most car wash equipment manufacturers are. Most (not all though) of the younger generations are not willing to put in the effort to get the hands on knowledge or learn the practical skills the the older generations once did. Hopefully they will come around some day.

Etowah

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I guess I may be one of the Rare Elusive Technicians you are talking about one day, i am 31 now went to Trade school & all i have ever done is turn wrenches since i was 15 yrs old work 7 days a week in HVAC/Refrigeration and the Carwash business and it has taken me a long ways in life way ahead of my classmates and its finally starting to show more & more. I always try to work with the old man that has the Case pocket knife, notepad and flashlight in his pocket, shirtail tucked in & absorb what he says like a sponge that knows the Indian tricks of the trade and grow from that and the new ways. Yall are 110% correct it seems like in every trade these company's lead Tech that makes 90-100K a year would close up if they didn't work there. I know lots of companys like that the young people do not have the drive and mentality like it used to be.

MEP001

Reaction score
Sounds like a good future career, just like plumbing or electrician. How many college grads can work on anything these days? 1-100 maybe
I'll bet it's more like 1-1,000. You get the occasional kid with a real interest in something like cars and will build or restore something nice, but the rest are more into ironic upgrades, riveting on garden bed trim for front air dams, etc.

MEP001

Reaction score
A lot of companies I have been dealing with lately have this "ONE" tech that has all the answers and experience
I saw that a lot when I worked for a distributor, still do now sometimes. I can cite both JE Adams and Fragramatics, they both have only one tech that really knows everything, the rest can sort of help if they can find the manual.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
There is no substitute for experience. Did you ever wonder how you would teach "Everything" you know about the business? To someone? At least Sonny's has training programs and those that attend give good reviews. But then again they may have little knowledge to start with so might be easily impressed by routine stuff. I find this with plumbers, electrician md contractors. Recently battled with some who were "Experienced" but not car wash experience.

OurTown

Reaction score
I saw that a lot when I worked for a distributor, still do now sometimes. I can cite both JE Adams and Fragramatics, they both have only one tech that really knows everything, the rest can sort of help if they can find the manual.

The guy that knew everything at JE Adams retired earlier this year. (maybe at the first of the year) He was really sharp. The younger guy that I talk to now has only worked there for maybe 7 years and doesn't know much about the older stuff and doesn't seem to want to dig deep to find any difficult answers.

MEP001

Reaction score
Did you ever wonder how you would teach "Everything" you know about the business? To someone?
I've thought about documenting literally everything I do, from changing a coin acceptor to completely rewiring a car wash, and compiling it into a book or a series of manuals. If I were to sit down and try to write down everything I know I'm sure I'd forget to include a ton of stuff. And all that might not do any good to someone if they don't have the ability to diagnose without a flowchart.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I've thought about documenting literally everything I do, from changing a coin acceptor to completely rewiring a car wash, and compiling it into a book or a series of manuals. If I were to sit down and try to write down everything I know I'm sure I'd forget to include a ton of stuff. And all that might not do any good to someone if they don't have the ability to diagnose without a flowchart.
That's where you start making YouTube Tutorial videos, like Tom at Kleen Rite did.

washnshine

Reaction score
We all come to the knowledge we have in a variety of ways. I think the fact that you “don’t know what you don’t know” helps it always seem fresh and enlightening when you do pick up something new. I’m sure even those colleges like Sonny’s has can be beneficial for even oldies like me!

soonermajic

Reaction score
Yes, but on the flip side, have you tried teaching the younger generation anything that requires more than pushing a button on a phone?
Yep, I have been teaching for 30 yrs this yr! I sound like a cynical old man, but dadgum it is getting increasingly harder & harder to teach young kids. Too many are "woke"(code for "always looking for something to be fake mad about "), disrespectful, have zero patriotism, LAZY, unmotivated, poor communication skills...etc....

STXCW

Reaction score
It's hard enough to find an attendant to keep wash clean and make minor repairs. A good tech is hard to find, has to be a plumber, electrician, handy man, welder etc etc. It's hard to find good people that want to work, especially in the car wash industry. It is definitely different than most occupations out there.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Maybe a compilation of your more informative AutoCareforum "based on hands on experience" posts???