What's new

Sensorton question

Wayne J

Reaction score
I have a self serve bay with a Sensortron coin acceptor. It ALWAYS rejects the first coin deposited. I can insert the same quarter again and all is well.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Wayne

slash007

Reaction score
I have never had that problem and have had sensatron acceptors for years. All I can recommend is to follow the instructions on the website and do a thorough cleaning of it. If that doesn't work, then you should double check to make sure that no wires or anything else might be loose/kinked. If that fails you might just have to replace it.

usfbob

Reaction score
Wayne, I have just developed the identical problem you are describing. Did you find a solution or did you have to replace the acceptor.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Go to sensortron website do a full cleaning like slash said I have never had success with the cleaning. or buy a new one send them the one that messing up and they will fix it at a reasonable rate then you will have a spare for your wash. I have had Sensortrons for a very long time. Also check the 4 wires connected to it make sure there not loose.

Randy

Reaction score
I’ve found that Gin-San will not repair Sensortron coin acceptors if they are over 2 years old. We tossed all of the ones we had into the dumpster when they went bad and replaced them with Slugbuster. The Slugtbusters are repairable and the folks at Parker/Slugbuster are good to deal with when you have a problem.

Here’s a link to the cleaning instructions for the Sensortron coin acceptor http://ginsan.com/techspecs/tg-283 - Sensorton with Cleaning Instructions.pdf

Wayne J

Reaction score
That Sensortron is in a landfill somewhere. Replaced it with a Slugbuster. Had another Sensortron that has been jammng. Same fix.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
I’ve found that Gin-San will not repair Sensortron coin acceptors if they are over 2 years old. We tossed all of the ones we had into the dumpster when they went bad and replaced them with Slugbuster. The Slugtbusters are repairable and the folks at Parker/Slugbuster are good to deal with when you have a problem.

Here’s a link to the cleaning instructions for the Sensortron coin acceptor http://ginsan.com/techspecs/tg-283 - Sensorton with Cleaning Instructions.pdf
Randy

We can, and do, repair Sensortrons all the time. The cost is usually $40 plus shipping. We didn't years ago because it wasn't cost effective but as the price of new units has increased it pencils out more often.

slash007

Reaction score
Randy

We can, and do, repair Sensortrons all the time. The cost is usually $40 plus shipping. We didn't years ago because it wasn't cost effective but as the price of new units has increased it pencils out more often.
That's good to know, I have just been throwing them away.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I agree with Randy for once.... JK :) After reading Slugbuster's website and getting some used acceptors I don't think I will purchase Sensortrons again. Slugbuster has a fixed max repair cost. No offense but "usually $40" doesn't mean $40. I also hate idx acceptors....

BTW Ginsan's site sucks if you need support or a manual FYI.

MEP001

Reaction score
Why do you hate IDX acceptors? I've had very little trouble with them.

Etowah

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I should note that I only take quarters.... My problem with idx acceptors is you can't get them fixed. I think the minimum is $85? But I don't remember for sure? You could purchase a sensortron insert for less then that years ago.

Rereading my original post it sounds like I "hate" Sensortron acceptors. I don't hate them..... I just wish I always purchased Slugbuster acceptors instead. As an aside.... Slugbuster's site is scary. :)

MEP001

Reaction score
I've had IDX MA-800 acceptors fixed for as little as $45. They don't have a flat repair rate because they base the cost on what's needed to fix it.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I believe that is what I used also? It was years ago.... I still have them somewhere (idx acceptors) but I believe I called and afterwards asked Randy if he could even fix them. I believe he said he threw them away also?

But the other problem was the Sensortron insert was only $65 (now over $100) so I would not have fixed them anyway. Now the Sensortron cost a lot more and I have tried other acceptors. I like the microcoin. I like the way it opens to clean jams.... The thing I hate is that dongle! :)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Coin Mech Standardization, Availability & Service Compared

I just want to say that I have had recent first hand experience with IDX, GinSan, Parker & MicroCoin on both warranty & off warranty items. I can totally honestly say that all of the experiences have been positive. Now, from what I have gathered on the laundromat forums with some of ... the larger manufacturers in the world ... much bigger (not necessarily better!):mad: .... than our manufacturers found in our car wash industry ... the availability & repair can be safely described as still currently unbelievably pathetic. Especially when compared to what we in the self service portion of our car wash industry have to work with. That includes Canadian, Australian, & European laundromat owners. This is something that sorely needs to be corrected & not just with "all blue sky":eek: wifi card swipes either like some advocate. I am not saying that the situation is not easily correctible with a joint effort. There is room for some use of both the fancier electronic methods of payment & the older more traditional methods of payment. Coin mechs in general should still be improved upon & standards of quality maintained.

If you don't believe me just check out some of the trials & tribulations of those over tens of thousands of owners have to work with when it comes to turnkey trouble free coin mechs that fit properly in their machines. Compared to what we have been blessed with. I think one of the worst things that happened to the coin op laundromat industry is when the self service car wash industry was no longer part of their organization. Had SSCWs stayed put & firmly associated ... instead of joining the bandwagon of the gas-tunnel operators .. there would have more standardization across both coin op industries that would have benefitted both ... based on my 40+ & even 50+ year involvement in both service industries.

Mike Walsh www.kingkoin.com More than 3500 views on my 10 YouTube videos at this time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
IDX has been ok for us, easy to program and no problems. the acceptors I hate are the ones you have to feed 15 coins through to program, what a pain in the ?

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
:) I was just saying idx acceptors use a lot of coins.... 6 is still a lot.... I just remembered it was annoying. My microcoin I have now I never had to reprogram a quarter though..... I guess that's a plus? :)

Actually..... besides the dongle I like the ql the best. The dongle is almost not worth using the acceptor for (I have super small boxes). :) The only jam I have had was a coin with gum or something sticky on it. The sensortrons jam more often but they were always cheap. Also compare coin acceptor stated annoying me because at my vandalism car wash..... They would bust open my Coleman meter boxes and steal that quarter! :)

MEP001

Reaction score
I think it's the GinSan Multitron that needs 15 coins fed through to program.