What's new

Self serve clogged nozzles

Etowah

Dirt Buster

Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with self serve nozzles clogging often? In both self serve bays at my location I’ve had 5 nozzles clog this past week alone. Sometimes it’s a white piece of something, and other times it’s black. I would think this is the high and low pressure seals or the valve replacement seals. But i replaced them for the bay that’s been doing it the most.
What is the best way to prevent this? Thank you!

MEP001

Reaction score
I never have nozzles clog. There's something coming apart that's getting in your tips. It's either in the water or coming from the tank. You'll just have to find it.

soapy

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the impellers off a lower presuure pump like a spot free repressure pump or similar.

MEP001

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the impellers off a lower presuure pump like a spot free repressure pump or similar.
That's actually more likely what's happening than what I said. I don't think it would happen on mine because the solenoids are so small, but if OP's solenoids are large orifice they would pass debris right through.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Are you using galvanized wands? Or Stainless Steel? I used to have clogged nozzles all too often when using galvanized wands. Switching to SS solved the issue.

mac

Reaction score
Are you using galvanized wands? Or Stainless Steel? I used to have clogged nozzles all too often when using galvanized wands. Switching to SS solved the issue.
Is the hose you are using high pressure water hose or hydraulic hose meant for oil?

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Are you using liquid soap or powder soap and mixing?
When I use to use powder years ago sometimes I mixed it to thick and it would clog up the tips.

ICEMAN1

Reaction score
Check your pump heads for washout. Sounds like valve oring and bac up ring debris. If you replaced your valve orings because they were damaged your head is washed out. Common problem on cat pump

Dirt Buster

Reaction score
I'll look into the impellers spot free repressure pump, didn't think about that.
I am using stainless steel wands, I could see were galvanized would be an issue.
We have always used liquid soaps, so its not a powder issue.

Dirt Buster

Reaction score
Check your pump heads for washout. Sounds like valve oring and bac up ring debris. If you replaced your valve orings because they were damaged your head is washed out. Common problem on cat pump
Do you think this would still happen in both bays? Its been in one bay the most, but also in my other bay. So you're saying open up the pump head and see what's laying around in there?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score

MEP001

Reaction score
It's Goodyear Neptune 3000 hose, definitely for water.

ICEMAN

Reaction score
Could happen in both bays, pumps are probably same age. You said you replaced valve orings, why did you replace them? If they were broken up or missing pieces the head is washed out. If it happens in one bay more than the other it could mean that head is washed to a greater degree and the new valve orings you put in do not last as long. There is a sticky thread on head washout here. If these pumps have any age to them, it is almost a certainty they are washed.

Randy

Reaction score
What brand of high pressure pumps are you running? Do the pumps pulsate? Do you have a strainer on your water supply and on your low pump tanks? How old are your hoses? Are you using a nozzle protector? Before I started using a nozzle protector I have customers prying the mud out from the wheel well and that would cause a nozzle to plug up. 99% of the time when the nozzle plugs up the seals in the pump will be ruined by the lack of water flow, if there is no water flow out of the pump will over heat and the seals will be ruined. Your problem could be just about anywhere in the system.