What's new

Self serve bay damage.......Tractor too tall!

Vacuumprospector

Reaction score
Hello, first time posting. We built a new Express tunnel with 2 self serve bays connected a few months ago. Got my first ding, maybe more than a ding! Luckily our tunnel attendant was there and cameras caught the whole thing, so it is getting taken care of by the equipment rental company. Yes, it was one of the drivers from the local heavy equipment rental companies that thought he could wash off the tractor in the bay,
View attachment tractorSmash3.mp4
because they had it rented out the next day............(broke the windshield and bent the cab frame on the tractor as well).

APW

Reaction score
What an idiot. I've had two doofus's at different locations try to pull trailers through my in bay automatics in the last 2 weeks.

Welcome to The forum.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think every self serve car wash I've seen has 2 dings / dents above the bays where Tractors' stacks hit. They try and pull up enough to wash the front then turn around and back in.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Without getting into details ... it is even tougher when it comes to damage when overhead doors are required because of weather.

soapy

Reaction score
I had a similar incident last year at one of my washes. A tall cargo van ran into my concrete block header cracking it pretty bad. I had a structural engineer come over and design what it would take to replace and make the building sound again. $7600 we had a new metal header and supported by metal beams in the doorway. Engineer fee was $500

Alpine Dreams

Reaction score
I've had 5 hit and runs this year. They all have come and paid except for 1 entitled a$$. He wants to talk about how we don't have signs up saying how tall our clearance is and how we ruined his light bar on his side by side. It wouldn't have stopped him from damaging our place as he was coming in at a high speed and never slowed down until he hit our boom. Not one of these customers left a note in our box. Somehow, we got the responding deputy that he knows and he refused to charge him. We then got the run around and they mysteriously lost all of the paperwork. I'm not sure how this will play out, but we have spoken to someone at the sheriff's department to complain.

Good luck with your damage. I've had good luck with equipment rental companies even though they hit and ran.