What's new

Ryko thrust pro dryer connections

Etowah

mac

Reaction score
Hello all. Just tore out an old Ryko but will be keeping the thrust pro dryer. Does anyone have any experience with connecting it to a different machine? They have 10 or 12 control wires going to it. Let that sink in a bit. 10 or 12 control wires to start a frigging dryer? That is beyond absurd. I just want to send a signal to start it.

OurTown

Reaction score
Maybe there's all those wires so that each motor can be started individually and sequentially to reduce overall startup amps?

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Hello all. Just tore out an old Ryko but will be keeping the thrust pro dryer. Does anyone have any experience with connecting it to a different machine? They have 10 or 12 control wires going to it. Let that sink in a bit. 10 or 12 control wires to start a frigging dryer? That is beyond absurd. I just want to send a signal to start it.
Mac, for the Thrust Pro dryer, it was sold with a couple of different control panel options. If it were connected to a Ryko carwash, we would use the PLC program of the carwash to control it, so it didn't need it's own PLC to operate (in this case, the follower flow-switches, follower drop and ratchet release solenoids all had to wire back to the carwash resulting in more control wiring). If it were going to be connected to "older" Ryko units or those from other manufacturers, the control panel had it's own PLC to control everything, and it only needed a couple of wires coming back to start the unit.

If you can send me a PM with the serial number of the dryer and what you are planning to connect it to, I'll see how it was built and what it will take.

MGSMN

Reaction score
If it is a Thrust Pro with it's own PLC you can make it start with only 2 wires: 24v ac start signal and a common.

If not this is what is in there going back to the previous Ryko machine PLC to control it:
24v ac
24v ac common
24v dc common
Left air flow switch signal wire
Right air flow switch signal wire
Photo eye signal wire back to the machine to shut dryer off early
Overload tripped signal wire
Top fans run
Side fans run
Nozzle cylinder oscillate solenoid
Ratchet release cylinder solenoid
Dryer drop release cylinder solenoid
Ground

And if it has a Ryko supplied LED "Run Countdown" timer at least one more wire

soapy

Reaction score
If you do not have a PLC control you can stagger the motors with some delay relay timers. I just added some sonny dryers to a location that uses the RYKO PLC to start my slim line dryers. I bought some eaton single pole delay relays that work with volts from 12 to 240 and programable delay for $67 each from Platt ELectrical. After the 3rd ryko dryer signal is sent we send the same signal to the first sonnys dryer through the relay and give it a 5 second delay then when the sonny's #1 dryer starts it sends a signal to 2nd dryer motor and a 5 second delay. They also make a 2 pole delay relay that is only a few dollars more.

mac

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information.

slash007

Reaction score
I
Mac, did you ever figure out how to connect your Thrust Pro dryer to a different IBA?

mac

Reaction score
Yes, we connected it to an Istobal M1 and it works. Know what you mean about Ryko's tendency to over complicate things. That is just their nature. I recently visited a new Ryko install and was just amazed at the amount of stuff they put in the wash bay. There are junction boxes everywhere. On my recent Istobal install we did a free standing blower that just used two wires to control it. And there is almost nothing on the walls. Everything is simple, and it's more advanced than the Ryko.

slash007

Reaction score
Yes, we connected it to an Istobal M1 and it works. Know what you mean about Ryko's tendency to over complicate things. That is just their nature. I recently visited a new Ryko install and was just amazed at the amount of stuff they put in the wash bay. There are junction boxes everywhere. On my recent Istobal install we did a free standing blower that just used two wires to control it. And there is almost nothing on the walls. Everything is simple, and it's more advanced than the Ryko.
That's good to hear. How did you end up getting it to work with the Istobal? Did you have to connect all 10-12 wires somehow? Mine don't have their own control cabinet, so I would have to figure out how to connect everything to another machine and I wasn't sure if that was possible. To buy the control cabinet, they want almost 6k.

mac

Reaction score
As I remember I think all we did was add a small control relay because of the voltage output from the Istobal. You don’t need to connect all of the wires. It’s been a little over a year ago and I have since sold my business. If you can get a schematic just find the wires that control the motor starters. The mechanism that drops the top nozzle is tied into that. Hope this helps.

slash007

Reaction score
As I remember I think all we did was add a small control relay because of the voltage output from the Istobal. You don’t need to connect all of the wires. It’s been a little over a year ago and I have since sold my business. If you can get a schematic just find the wires that control the motor starters. The mechanism that drops the top nozzle is tied into that. Hope this helps.
You could probably get the motors to start, but did the follower drop and the side nozzles oscillate still?

mac

Reaction score
On the one I dis the top nozzle did drop but it had fixed side blowers.

TravisW

Reaction score
I just finished interfacing a new Istobal Flex 5 with the thrust pros. The side dryer was fixed but with two programmable timers I was able to make the top dryer drop and work properly. One set as a five second impulse on to release the safety ratchet and the other as a on delay to activate the air solenoid to drop the dryer. I found if you didn’t release the ratchet first they would hang and wouldn’t drop.

slash007

Reaction score
I just finished interfacing a new Istobal Flex 5 with the thrust pros. The side dryer was fixed but with two programmable timers I was able to make the top dryer drop and work properly. One set as a five second impulse on to release the safety ratchet and the other as a on delay to activate the air solenoid to drop the dryer. I found if you didn’t release the ratchet first they would hang and wouldn’t drop.
That's great to hear. With that setup, does it still rely on a signal from the flag to drop the follower for safety, or will the follower drop after a delay no matter what?