What's new

Replacing tunnel controller, want opinions (ICS, Washlink, something else?)

philone

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First time here. We have a tunnel based self-serve wash (yes you read that right). Currently We have Peco tunnel equipment including the Peco branded Kesseltronics tunnel controller. For an entry system we use a relatively new Wash Select II (hey, we only offered a single wash for years so who needs something fancy right?). Being that the Peco controller is well past being obsolete we're looking to replace it before it one day dies.

I'm looking for opinions from other car wash operators about their experiences with the various tunnel controllers out there. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to programming equipment but I really appreciated that Peco had a support person who was always able to help with programming issues that I couldn't tackle (even if every call started with "You *really* should replace that controller...". I'd love to find another company who offers similar support.

Thanks. I plan to hang around this forum more going forward and perhaps contribute to it myself.

Phil

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I don't know what a
Hey Everyone,

First time here. We have a tunnel based self-serve wash (yes you read that right).

Phil
I really am not certain what you mean but I have Data Trax at 4 Tunnels and recently replaced the DRB that would no longer be supported with Datatrax. Have had Datatrax for over 40 years

washnshine

Reaction score
I see several of the ICS systems being installed on new builds. I’m not recommending or commenting on their quality, however, because I cannot say with any certainty - just an observation of what some new installations are going with.

Just Call Ben

Reaction score
I am a car wash technician and I've worked on and installed several. They all have strengths and weaknesses. If you are an owner-operator, the most important thing you need is support. Datatrax and comes in near the bottom while DRB is excellent. DRB support does cost $3,000 per year, though, while the others are no charge for basic tech support. ICS support has been mostly good with some difficulty. Tommy support is decent.

I'll have more information on Tommy support in the coming month as I'm going to try and expand a 14-year old Guardian to add more outputs for one of my car wash clients.

ICS Tunnel Master is a fairly straight forward system but programming is awkward on the Jr. DRB TunnelWatch programming is easy and can be done from remote which is huge in my book. Datatrax programming is clunky and even the new system doesn't really fix that much but, Datatrax is the cheapest, by far. Guardian Wash Command by Tommy is a decent system but it's usually sold as a MCC/Controller combo. You can configure from remote, also, like DRB.

The TunnelWatch has the most bells and whistles for tunnel control and monitoring. The interface is clear and there are multiple menus so things aren't cluttered.

There are many others that I have worked on but let's not muddy the water too much.

Cheers

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
..... Datatrax and comes in near the bottom .........................., Datatrax is the cheapest, by far.

Cheers
Best thing about Data Trax Support - Rarely needed . Maybe once every 5 -10- years. (Last I recall was bad battery for backup) and they answer the phone. DRB - every 5 to 10 months, long hold times and often first level of support doesn't get it.

John J Spokas

Reaction score
I am a car wash technician and I've worked on and installed several. They all have strengths and weaknesses. If you are an owner-operator, the most important thing you need is support. Datatrax and comes in near the bottom while DRB is excellent. DRB support does cost $3,000 per year, though, while the others are no charge for basic tech support. ICS support has been mostly good with some difficulty. Tommy support is decent.

I'll have more information on Tommy support in the coming month as I'm going to try and expand a 14-year old Guardian to add more outputs for one of my car wash clients.

ICS Tunnel Master is a fairly straight forward system but programming is awkward on the Jr. DRB TunnelWatch programming is easy and can be done from remote which is huge in my book. Datatrax programming is clunky and even the new system doesn't really fix that much but, Datatrax is the cheapest, by far. Guardian Wash Command by Tommy is a decent system but it's usually sold as a MCC/Controller combo. You can configure from remote, also, like DRB.

The TunnelWatch has the most bells and whistles for tunnel control and monitoring. The interface is clear and there are multiple menus so things aren't cluttered.

There are many others that I have worked on but let's not muddy the water too much.

Cheers
My personal service tech opinion is DRB TunnelWatch 2

MGSMN

Reaction score
Another vote for TunnelWatch, it's very easy to learn and use. r-TC by KesselTronics is just ok also.

Blanco

Reaction score
Datatrax is the cheapest and most reliable. Ive ran them over ten years and never had to call customer support. Bells and whistles on other controllers are nice but nothing beats price and reliability. What more can you ask for? They are bullet proof.

jfmoran

Reaction score
They're keeping the PECO line, as it gives us a stainless option for tunnel equipment, however, there will be some consolidation of features, for instance Sonny's stopped producing their Gator's for their blowers and has adopted the PECO Stargate across both product lines. PECO will likely stop, if they haven't already producing tunnel controllers, since Sonny's has a full line of Tunnel Controllers, POS, Pay Stations, LPR, etc...