What's new

Removing water spots on windows

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
How do you guys remove water spots / acid rain stains from glass? I have buffed it off with rubbing compound on an old work truck I had but I don't know that I want to try this with a newer car.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's a kit in the Eastwood catalog for this, containing a powder called Rhodite and a special pad to put on your buffer for application. I've never had much luck with this and it makes one heckuva mess. Good luck.

soapy

Reaction score
Start with something that is mildly acidic like vinegar. If that does not take it off try using some muratic acid in verying dilutions. Do this in the shade and not the sun. I use a cloth and carfully wipe the area and then wipe it off with a rag with water. Do not use hydrofluric acid. I know a wash that tried HF on a new BMW and it etched all the windows. IT was over $7000 to replace them.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Water Spots Are Mineral Residues

I agree with Soapy.:) Use a mild acidic solution on a wet sponge. Wipe and remove spots. Re-apply if spots aren't completely removed, and avoid getting the surface wet before the acid neutralizes the alkaline deposit. Once the windshield is wet, it dilutes the action of the acid neutralization. Afterwards, clean with normal window cleaning stuff... or do the process as part of the handwash, and do the windshield first.

Some suggest trying clay for mild residue removal because it is above the surface of the glazing. Others have used Lime-Away. There are many fixes, but avoid buffing on newer windshields. Some have coatings that scuff easily.

-Steve

Danny

Reaction score
Be very very careful with Muriatic acid... it is used in stripping chrome (which might be around the windows and trim). The warmer the acid and chrome, the easier it strips the chrome. Removing water spots on glass really depends on how deep the water spots have etched the glass. Claying the glass is extremely safe and removes mild blemishes from the surface. You can also compound the windows just becareful of any protective films. Acids can work also but need to be done with care. Vinegar as a water spot remover has been around for a long time and is proven for mild spotting. Some companies make water spot remover, some for paint, some for glass, some for both. NOT ALL, but most of these are basically diluted wheel acids. They do work but be extremely careful when using them. Do not allow them to dry on the surface. Rinse the acids off often and thoroughly. Make sure they are not only rinsed from the window and paint but also the trim and wheels. Since most cars come from the factory with aluminum wheels keep in mind that these acids can stain aluminum. Most of my customers do not offer a guaranty, only a "we will do the best we can" and do the job within what they feel are safe limits. If this is unsatisfactory they let the customer take the car somewhere else to become someone else's problem. I hope this helps.
Danny

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
Try a low ph pre-soak that contains Phosphoric Acid.....

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If you use steel wool make sure it is 0000 or you might have problems.