What's new

Removing Links From Wash Tunnel Chain

hkim310

Reaction score
We have been noticing that we are having to remove links out of our wash tunnel chain more frequently lately. Initially it seemed as though we were removing links from the chain every 3 months but lately we have been having to remove links within 4 to 6 weeks. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Is this any indication that the chain or a component may have gone bad? We have a Sonnys X458 Chain that was replaced on 06/2014. It has approximately 360,000 cars run on it thus far.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We have been noticing that we are having to remove links out of our wash tunnel chain more frequently lately. Initially it seemed as though we were removing links from the chain every 3 months but lately we have been having to remove links within 4 to 6 weeks. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Is this any indication that the chain or a component may have gone bad? We have a Sonnys X458 Chain that was replaced on 06/2014. It has approximately 360,000 cars run on it thus far.
Remote diagnostics is always tough. When did you last replace / check the Sprocket and takeup? Thinking if you replaced those when you replaced the chain the wear on those items getting worse. particularly the sprocket could cause more chain wear. I don't think a take up wheel would but a takeup sprocket might.

hkim310

Reaction score
Thank for the reply back Earl. The sprocket teeth were getting worn down on our existing sprocket so we replaced it 1 month ago. We have not done anything with the takeup though. I will go take a look at that today and report back.....

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
More details? When you say every four to six weeks, how many times have you done this? Sometimes I have had chains do this, and then return to the less often frequencies...check the "dog bones" do they seem pretty worn? replacing just those is an option.