What's new

Remote suvaillence monitoing

Jason Studer

Reaction score
I will have up to 20 cameras at my selfserve car wash when I am finished. I am shopping intenet providers and they keep asking me what bandwith I need to be able to remote monitor. Any help with this would be great.

You would think they would be able to tell me what I need. I don't think the sales people want to work that hard.

Please let me know what you have and if it works fair, ok or great. I am not very smart when it comes to internet speed lingo.

Thank you, Jason

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Speed

I have DSL- 512k up and 3MB down at the wash.

When viewing "live action" remotely, my system never crashes so there is no problem with that. But, with retrieving past history (looking at bay XX last night) my system does crash sometimes-- and I am not sure if it is the vendor's product, my system speed, or what.

Finally, if you want to download past history-- i.e. download what happened in bay XX last night, this is when the 512k speed will show up. Since it can only push out data at a 512k rate is does take a while to download an 80, 100, or 200-300 video file.

I would like to have faster speed, and certainly would not want any slower speed. I'd consider my speed, for my system, the bare minimum.

MikeV

Reaction score
How can you view your cameras on an I-Phone? Do you need an app for this? I can watch them on the computer at home but cannot pull up the website on the I-phone.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Cameras

I don't have an iphone, but I have a motorola droid x.

I use the remote desktop feature on my home pc, and installed the xtralogic remote desktop client on my phone. This lets my phone do anything that my home PC can do.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I don't have an iphone, but I have a motorola droid x.

I use the remote desktop feature on my home pc, and installed the xtralogic remote desktop client on my phone. This lets my phone do anything that my home PC can do.
The Xtralogic also has the sound like I have posted before. It is nice but it would be even nicer if there was a way to program the Droid X to automatically reconnect if it loses its connection. Then it would have even more value as an alarm notifier because obviously we can't be looking at the screen nonstop. Another thing of value would be to be able to use a remote desktop that would allow more than one concurrent viewer such as Teamviewer for those of us who have employees who also have an Android phone or an Iphone.

MJ

bigleo48

Reaction score
Jason & Others

DSL services unless specified have a Service Level Agreement (SLA) that is considered "Available bandwidth". This is to say that the quoted bandwidth data rates are maximums (capped) based on availability...in other words, no minimums. You can purchase better SLA with guaranteed minimums, but at additional cost

What I looked at the the up-link data rates. I had a carrier hear that had 3Megs up and down. I also had the same carrier at home and so being on the same 'Intranet', the speeds when watching from home were very fast.

The iPhone or Droid remote viewing is very handy. I use and like Geovision based systems. They have an iPhone app. However that is bandwidth hungry, so for just checking things, I also have my two systems upload low res pictures every 5 to 10 seconds to a webpage to give me near live views. Then I have configured different webpages that allow me to view my most important, to all of these snapshots depending on what I want to view. For example the summary view shows me how busy the wash is, while others could show me the state of the wash bays and if they need cleaning. This has been discussed at length in previous posts, so I would do a search if you want more particulars. Doing this requires some rudimentary website making skills and a bit not networking too. If you don't have this, perhaps a buddy might.

Big