What's new

Recommended Cars Per Hours for 120 Foot Wash Tunnel

hkim310

Reaction score
What is the recommended CPH for a 140 foot wash tunnel with the following equipment package in the NorthEast:

1. 2 Sets of Wrap Around Brushes
2. Triple Set Of Mitters (2 Front to Back, 1 Side to Side)
3. 1 Set of Side Brushes
4. 1 Set of Rocker Panels Brushes
5. 1 Set of Pendulum Wheel Blasters
6. Omni High Pressure Arch (Top and Sides)
7. Halo High Pressure Rinse Arch
8. Rain Finishing Arch
9. 2 15HP Flash Dryers
10. 10 15HP Dryers
11. Tire Shine Machine

Last edited:

hkim310

Reaction score
Expected annual volume - 130,000. I was mistaken, this tunnel is 140 feet in length. Are cars per hour in line with feet of wash tunnel (140 foot tunnel = 140 CPH)?

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Expected annual volume - 130,000. I was mistaken, this tunnel is 140 feet in length. Are cars per hour in line with feet of wash tunnel (140 foot tunnel = 140 CPH)?
IMO the 1 car / foot / hour is old math. I think Tommy has videos out there with 180 and 200+ CPH but conditions such as stuff being frozen or cooked on can dictate a slower process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvD84R4-o8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grard7HzC1o

A Belt is more efficient at loading but a guy just posted on FB with a regular conveyor hitting 184.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I may have missed the point of the OP. A faster speed will use less of everything. But it has to get the job done at a comfort level for the customer.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
130,000 is a maximum of about 125 cars an hour. Normally, this would call for length of between 100’ and 125’. So, 140’ is long enough.

According to look-up table, conveyor speed would need to be set so a roller travels about eleven feet in fifteen seconds. This assumes 3’- 6” spacing. If 7’ – 4”, increase this by 20 percent.

JustaGuy

Reaction score
Expected annual volume has exactly *zero* to do with how fast you should run your conveyor. Conveyor speed depends on equipment and chemical package, along with the types of soils you need to clean, and may vary depending on conditions.

What you are looking for is the best speed you can run the conveyor where your chemicals and equipment can produce an acceptably clean and dry car. Running it slower wastes chemicals. Running it faster risks a lower quality wash. You, your distributor, and your chemical rep should work together to get your equipment and chemicals adjusted properly and run dirty cars off the street. Start at a reasonable speed - that 140 cars/hour you mentioned isn't a bad starting point. Evaluate the cleanliness and dryness of the vehicles as they exit the wash. Can it be better? If so, and you can't (or don't want to) adjust the equipment or chemicals to compensate, then you ought to slow it down. If it looks good, bump the speed 10 cars per hour or so and re-evaluate.

At some point you'll find the sweet spot where you are producing an acceptable quality wash at the best speed. Of course, you'll need to continuously evaluate the wash quality and adjust for conditions. Temperature, prevailing soils on the vehicles, age of the cloth, etc., all can have an effect and you may need to adjust your conveyor speed to accommodate.

Many operators are tempted to speed up the conveyor during busy times, and slow it down when traffic drops off. However, if you do this you will tend to produce a lower-quality wash at higher speeds and waste chemicals at lower speeds - and your regular customers will notice the difference in speed and quality.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
130,000 is a maximum of about 125 cars an hour. .
I do not know how this figure is arrived at but IMO for those of us in the snow / salt belt it's meaningless. Annual volume means little since winter months can do triple the volume of summer months. So, you need to anticipate the bread and butter days when you can turn it up to 11. Those are salt covered cars and temps of 30 degrees or more so stuff not badly frozen on. On those days a 140 foot tunnel (Not accounting for loading factors) should be able to handle a chain speed of 180 CPH or 1 foot / sec.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Expected annual volume has exactly *zero* to do with how fast you should run your conveyor.”

The person asked for a recommendation. I gave him a qualified one by opening up a file drawer and using an look-up table created by major equipment manufacturer.

Before this, it was necessary to determine maximum hour. Maximum is most often used when determining conveyor length (Hanna, 1995). Since a maximum wasn’t given, I derived it from annual volume.

As for my recommendation

“130,000 is a maximum of about 125 cars an hour. Normally, this would call for length of between 100’ and 125’. So, 140’ is long enough.

According to look-up table, conveyor speed would need to be set so a roller travels about eleven feet in fifteen seconds. This assumes 3’- 6” spacing. If 7’ – 4”, increase this by 20 percent.”

Please show why this is wrong. I mean if you are going to take a shot at least be able to back it up.

“Start at a reasonable speed - that 140 cars/hour you mentioned isn't a bad starting point.”

What guidance says 140 is a good starting point? And why is 140 a good starting point?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Expected annual volume has exactly *zero* to do with how fast you should run your conveyor. Conveyor speed depends on equipment and chemical package, along with the types of soils you need to clean, and may vary depending on conditions.

What you are looking for is the best speed you can run the conveyor where your chemicals and equipment can produce an acceptably clean and dry car. Running it slower wastes chemicals. Running it faster risks a lower quality wash.
We think alike.

JustaGuy

Reaction score
"Please show why this is wrong. I mean if you are going to take a shot at least be able to back it up."

Seems I stepped on someone's toes. I think my recommendation stands on its merits. I don't feel the need to justify it further, especially to someone who appears to want to get into a willy-wagging contest.

JustaGuy

Reaction score
"On those days a 140 foot tunnel (Not accounting for loading factors) should be able to handle a chain speed of 180 CPH or 1 foot / sec."

Your thinking mirrors mine. I fully expect that if the OP has good equipment and chemicals he will find that chain speed is within its capabilities.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
No contest. I asked you a reasonable question in previous thread. Why don't you provide reasonable answer? For example, what merits are you referring to?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The person asked for a recommendation. I gave him a qualified one by opening up a file drawer and using an look-up table created by major equipment manufacturer.

According to look-up table, conveyor speed would need to be set so a roller travels about eleven feet in fifteen seconds. This assumes 3’- 6” spacing. If 7’ – 4”, increase this by 20 percent.”

Please show why this is wrong. I mean if you are going to take a shot at least be able to back it up.
Well, I opened my file drawer. looked under Last 50 years in the business, last 30 as an operator, last 12 operating 4 tunnels and it told me.

Expected annual Volume has nothing to do with recommended tunnel CPH. Recommended CPH is a function of dirt to be cleaned, environmental conditions, equipment in place and human limitations.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score

hkim310

Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone who responded back to my post. This forum has been a great resource for me as a car wash owner as I am able to get information from operators and people in the industry that know much more than I do!

Jerry

Reaction score
First, you took what I said out of context. I answered but you choose not to see it.

Second, why don't you let the guy speak for himself. Reason is he probably doesn't have good answer like half the B.S. artists that come on this site.
If I took something out of context I apologize. I asked a legit question that you choose not to answer. It was your example that a 100k car base count that would increase 30% due to unlimited memberships. Since you're the resident expert, I asked if your familiarity with a BOGO special would generate more or less than a 30% increase in base car count. simple as that.

Etowah