What's new

Rear Wiper Protection

iwashcars

Reaction score
Just curious what people are using or not using to protect rear wipers from breaking or falling off. I am currently using wiper bags and masking tape which work good. However the problem is when a customer gets an express exterior wash they drive away with the bag or tape. To me it's kind of tacky having a car drive away with a bag flapping on the back of their car.
I am using Belanger Quick Fire wraps and was wondering if anyone runs without any type of bag or tape without problem? I've tried but get the occasional broken wiper. So thought maybe more lubricity might help or something all together different that I am not thinking of.
Thanks.....

hkim310

Reaction score
I think the only option would be to have someone on the exit end that removes the bags/tape. The problem with that is the cost of labor to have someone just stand at the exit end to perform that task. I don't think it matters what type of material you are using on your wrap around brushes as they will all eventually pull on the back wiper blade/arm. I agree that it doesn't look the best to have a car leave with the bag on the back of the vehicle but that's a lot better than with a broken wiper arm. FYI, we use the plastic bags here at our facility as well.......

madstack

Reaction score
Installed quickfires last November. We check all rear wipers for structural integrity. The only real problem ones are the flat exposed type that attach in the middle (VW, Audi, BMW, Ford Explorer, ...). 2 pieces of tape, 3" apart does the trick. 1 piece of tape and a "We're not responsible" warning for the damaged ones.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Paul,

Foam is the optimal wash media for wraps and allows for much higher rotational speed than cloth or wavy.

Is the rotational speed set at OEM specs?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Print the bags with a sign .... "Just Washed at iwashcars"

parsonii

Reaction score
from tape to bags and back to tape and decreased the rotatational speed of our cloth wraps. no issued for a while

hkim310

Reaction score
We use foam for our wrap around brushes as well and have the rotation speed set a tad lower than what is recommended by Sonny's per the conveyor speed. We went from tape to wiper bags. We originally used the cheapest regular tape but in the summer time when left on after a wash and baking in the sun, customers complained that it left a residue on their vehicles. We ended up switching to blue painters tape which resolved that issue but when calculating costs, it was actually cheaper with the plastic wiper bags. Adding wiper bags have all but eliminated any issues we have with rear wipers.