What's new

Razor or Razor Edge

soonermajic

Reaction score
I will be somewhat of an absentee owner, 30 miles sway. Pretty good Distributor, but insanely busy & 70 miles away.
Site is BUSY w/ a LW360 w/ onboard dryers, & top pkg is 6 minutes w/ a whopping 1:15 of dry time!! šŸ˜Æ

After studying 3 yrs deposits, it confirmed my thoughts. March & Oct are 2 busiest mos BY FAR, w/ 80cpd avg. Other 10 mo is 40cpd = 17,000 washes a year on 1 IBA.

I want FoamNflow (Do they only do Rainbar style now---thats what i want), Tri Foam, LumenArch, & SpectraRay. Should i get a BigShot, for wheel cleaning?
They went from 7,8,9 to 8,9,10 a yr ago.
Middle to low income area, & i plan on $9 (no dryers), $10 & $12.

I'm leaning towards the Razor, cause not sure i can justify costlier Edge + i hear the Edge has LOTS more options (mainly meaning many more things to keep up w/ & have issues with).

What's yalls thoughts? No chance for a tunnel in isolated town of 5k, & only 1 weak competitor w/ an old SoftGloss(owner is a prick).

Eric H

Reaction score
Iā€™d have to look but it think the EDGE machine is only about $20k more than a regular Razor.
I bought the EDGE because I know Iā€™ll have the machine for 12-15 years. If I have a machine with LOTS extra chemical application options (HyperFlex) I wonā€™t have to upgrade my machine for a long time.
When I installed the EDGE in early 2018, Ceramic Coat was as just starting to become popular in the industry. I simply added it to the HyperFlex and charge another $5 as a buy-up. If didnā€™t have the HyperFlex I wouldnā€™t be able to get that extra $5. I still have 4 more HyperFlex options and 1 or 2 more regular pass options to use when ā€œthe next industry innovationā€ comes out. If I donā€™t buy a machine with all of the options Iā€™d be more limited.
My older Razor3ā€™s (2016) are still running strong but I am already feeling limited. I am using every solenoid on the machine already. Iā€™m hoping that the machine will still allow me to be competitive in 2028. I donā€™t have that worry with the EDGE machine.

so, 1. I can generate more revenue per car and 2. I can keep the machine 2-3 years longer before it becomes obsolete

Last edited:

slash007

Reaction score
If you are adding all of the features you mentioned, then the only thing the Edge will offer extra is the Hyper Flex. It should allow you to speed up the wash, so it might be worth while for a busy wash. I didn't want Hyper Flex or Spectra Ray, so I just got the regular Razor, but my wash isn't nearly that busy. Otherwise I would have gotten the Edge. I don't know how well the Big Shot works, but if you watch customers pull in, most just speed right through and won't benefit. I had a similar setup on mine but ended up removing it as I was just throwing TC on the floor and wasting it.

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
I will be somewhat of an absentee owner, 30 miles sway. Pretty good Distributor, but insanely busy & 70 miles away.
Site is BUSY w/ a LW360 w/ onboard dryers, & top pkg is 6 minutes w/ a whopping 1:15 of dry time!! šŸ˜Æ

After studying 3 yrs deposits, it confirmed my thoughts. March & Oct are 2 busiest mos BY FAR, w/ 80cpd avg. Other 10 mo is 40cpd = 17,000 washes a year on 1 IBA.

I want FoamNflow (Do they only do Rainbar style now---thats what i want), Tri Foam, LumenArch, & SpectraRay. Should i get a BigShot, for wheel cleaning?
They went from 7,8,9 to 8,9,10 a yr ago.
Middle to low income area, & i plan on $9 (no dryers), $10 & $12.

I'm leaning towards the Razor, cause not sure i can justify costlier Edge + i hear the Edge has LOTS more options (mainly meaning many more things to keep up w/ & have issues with).

What's yalls thoughts? No chance for a tunnel in isolated town of 5k, & only 1 weak competitor w/ an old SoftGloss(owner is a prick).
Coach, we decided on the Razor over the Razor-Edge when we do our addition in a couple of months. I was advised that the Edge, with all it's fancy lights, etc. can be a pain in the butt from an electrical standpoint w/alot of maintenance. You can always add other options to the Razor if needed. I was told by our distributor that if you get the HyperFlex, you don't need the Foam N'Flow because the HydroFlex can do it all. I don't really care about all the fancy light-show -- I just want a great wash and then get them outtah there! If they want entertainment, they can watch their IPhones, listen to their radios, or scream at their kids. We plan to get the Razor w/HyperFlex, TF, and Power-Tower w/wheel cleaner.

Reactions: Roz

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My new Razor will arrive Monday. I feel like being able to apply chemical or straight water through the Flex Pass setup will give me the flexibility and speed that I need. My foam n flow I plan to use as a rain bar instead of a curtain. I'm going from $10,12,13,15 ( with a 15 y.o. Superior Side Trac) to $15,17,19,20 with the Razor. My 2 competitors are both rollover friction units, topping out at $20 for their best wash. I opted for Lumenarch and Spectra Ray, as well as the Stainless Steel upgrade and a Stainless Steel mounting stand.

Learn more here: https://www.washworldinc.com/touch-free/razor

Last edited:

DiamondWash

Reaction score
My new Razor will arrive Monday. I did not get the Hyper Flex option. I feel like being able to apply chemical or straight water through the rain bar will give me all the flexibility and speed that I need. I'm going from $10,12,13,15 ( with a 15 y.o. Superior Side Trac) to $15,17,19,20 with the Razor. My 2 competitors are both rollover friction units, topping out at $20 for their best wash.
Hyper-Flex is the rain bar feature.

Wildcat83482

Reaction score
I would get the hyperflex. Here is why
1. You can put chemicals on with low pressure and it give you more solenoids for buy ups.
2. Use the foam n flow..
3. Make your top package at least 14
Take advantage of the buy ups.

I personally didn't do wheel cleaner in my touch autos.
Eric, You can do ceramic with an older razor ( I have one with this)

The Hyper flex has some issues. But it will shave at least a min off your top wash.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Can you get HyperFlex on regular Razor, or does that automatically make it an Edge?

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
No, just the HyperFlex. It can be bought separately. We're not getting any of the extra lighting effects.

soonermajic

Reaction score
The SpectraRay is only about $3300. Compared to TSS, & some other lighting companies, that's pretty cheap. Of course if you have no competition, you don't need it.

soonermajic

Reaction score
It comes w/ a WSII, so buyups aren't available. Nowhere, can you dbl the price in 1 yr. Remember, last yr price pkgs were $7,$8,$9. Im not a Democrat, so I ain't gonna try & jump the price 2x, you know...like maybe minimum wage from $7,25 ---> $15!! šŸ¤£
I'm thinking Razor, w/ 3xFoam, SpectraRay, LumenArch, & RainBar.
WW tech, or WW guys who know quite a bit, feel free to chime in, especially if I'm wrong, or making a mistake.

slash007

Reaction score
Coach, the RainBar is the Hyperflex. In that case you are getting an Edge. If you want FNF but rainbar style, then you would get FNF instead of Hyperflex.

Jpj73457

Reaction score
Hi guys,

You all know what youā€™re talking about here, so Iā€™m hoping you can help out a rookie - Iā€™m looking to possibly open a small car wash operation and frankly donā€™t know where to start (but Iā€™m more than willing to take the time to learn).

If anyone can point me to relevant resources and/or is willing to give advice, Iā€™d be incredibly grateful.

Thanks in advance!

MEP001

Reaction score
frankly donā€™t know where to start
Start your own thread, list exactly what sort of "small car wash operation" you want to start, and "take the time" to read threads that focus on what you're wanting to do. Most like the info is already here, but people will jump in to answer questions if they aren't too vague.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Coach, the RainBar is the Hyperflex. In that case you are getting an Edge. If you want FNF but rainbar style, then you would get FNF instead of Hyperflex.
Not tryin to be difficult at all, but it seems like your 1st & last sentence contradicts each other.
Can I get FoamNflow, but in a Rainbar, w/out getting HyperFlex? I
I want, FoamNflow in a RainBar, 3xFoam, BugA'Salt, & maybe RainX, as options.
Can I do those, w/out having HyperFlex?

HyperFlex seems very convoluted, w/ WAY more options /solenoids/ hoses/injectors, etc, than what I want. This will be in a dmall rursl town, w/ zero competition. WSll, so no buyups, & Im only offering 3 pkgs. Prices were 7,8,9, just raised to, 8,9,10, & I plan on going to, $9, $10, $12 (&that's pushing the limit).

Isn't there a WW guy on here...?