What's new

Radiant Floor Heat Needs Anti Freeze Replaced

99Roadking

Reaction score
I have a 25 year old 4 bay SS wash in the mountains of NC. It was built with a closed loop system that worked perfect when we purchased the property. The last couple winters I have noticed the coverage of the bay has reduced each year. Does anyone have any knowledge how I need to pull the old weak liquid out of the system and replace it with a new fresh product. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The loop is hooked to my propane fired boiler that I would also like to replace with a couple Navien water heaters.

chaz

Reaction score
Likely a leak in your closed system. At least that was my issue. Turned out there was small leak in the ER copper pipe at a connection point. I assumed the greenish color on the fitting was no big deal....until last winter when it got worse. Turns out the fitting was not soldered well or at all...fixed...topped of the fluid all is good.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Theres a really long thread started by 2biz on floor heat, search on "Tankless Water Heater For Floor Heat", lots of good info in there that should interest you.

On my floor heat system I plumbed in purge & fill valves, it makes it really simple to... purge & fill ;)
I just use a cheap electric pump (you could use a spare flojet) with intake hose in a bucket of cryotek, outlet side connected to the purge/fill valve.
I do recommend a boiler & heating system cleaner for the system prior to replacing the cryotek, hercules makes one that is compatible with cryotek so you dont have to worry about a super job of flushing out the cleaner like you would with a generic cleaner.

wash4me

Reaction score
As it gets weaker it becomes more water I believe which may change the freeze temp but water conducts heat better than antifreeze so you may be barking up the wrong tree.

99Roadking

Reaction score
While I can appreciate your thought process I also have to be thinking of customer safety since this creates more slick spots in the wash area. The last thing I need is to have someone fall and we all know where that ends up.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
As it gets weaker it becomes more water I believe which may change the freeze temp but water conducts heat better than antifreeze so you may be barking up the wrong tree.
I agree. The liquid won't get "weak" and affect the floor heat. Freezing temp could be affected. Does your system have an expansion tank? Is it full of liquid so the pump is working efficiently?