What's new

Protectant build up

washnshine

Reaction score
I’m using Quest Total Shield Extreme and it is the best protectant I have ever used. I have heard it can build up if used too frequently/too concentrated. I noticed on my own car a grayish streaky haze that stands out on chrome and windows and a little bit on paint that comes off easily with a wipe of quick detailer or liquid wax. It does not leave any colored dirt or residue on the cloth I wipe it with , but it does come completely off the surface when you wipe it.

Could this be the build up from TSE? I wash my car several times per week in my friction tunnel with this package. It is not a dirt film - the cloth I wipe it with stays completely clean. I have not seen it on any other cars- I don’t have monthly plans.

I am just trying to get to the bottom of this before it becomes a problem with customers:if I go to monthly/unlimited plans and l know there are other Quest users on the forum.

FYI - I am applying it at the recommended 1:120 dilution to be used as 30 day protectant. My first tweek would be to cut that down.

Any ideas? I have not had this happen before.

carwashireland

Reaction score
I also use Quest total shield Extreme and also use the wash several times a week but have not had any issues with build up.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cut the strength of the sealant back a bit and re-check. Keep a notebook and keep track of what you did.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I'm not sure thats your issue but I would second waxman's suggestion of dialing it back a bit. That stuff still works great at half the strength you're using it. It's extremely durable.

Etowah

washnshine

Reaction score
Ok - I think I found the culprit. There was some sludge/gel backed up in one of the lines. It may have gradually been mixing in when delivered to the vehicle surface. Cleaned everything out and will see how it goes now.