What's new

Problem with microfiber towels getting stuck inside Laurel Vending - single column

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
For the past 4 years, since I started selling Microfiber towels in my new Laurel Vending single column machine, they've been getting stuck on the shelf and NOT falling! I vend Kleen-Rite's Big Boss towels (VSKMF100). The towels are 12" x 16". The cellophane packaging measures 4.75" wide, while the shelf measures 4.5" wide. I have spoke to Chip at Laurel Metal Products, Keith Lutz at Kleen-Rite and Chris Thomas at Quick Dry on several occasions. They ALL told me this is the FIRST they have heard of this problem. Kleen-Rite told me that they sell THOUSANDS of microfiber towels a month, and have never heard of such a problem! So I thought I would reach out to my friends on Car Wash Forum for their input.

At first, we suspected that moisture or static electricity on the metal shelves might be causing some resistance, but this problem continued into the warm summer months. Laurel Metal Products suggested that I replace my 24-shelf unit with a 19-shelf unit, but the problem isn't with the height of the package, but rather the WIDTH of the packaging. Although Quick Dry did recently replace their sewn edges with a laser-cut sealed edge (to reduce thickness), the package width remains the same, and still gets stuck on the shelf. For now, after I put the cellophane package on the shelf, I push the air out so it sits more on the shelf, but this isn't a perfect solution as the condensed cellophane package, will often sit on the 1/2" ledge at the back of the box, after the shelf drops. Shaking the vending box doesn't work as it's bolted securely to the block wall.

I STRONGLY suspect that the problem is because the cellophane packaging is WIDER than the metal shelf, and when the shelf drops the packaging is physically stuck (suspended) between the door and back of the box. Attached are a few photos to support my hypothesis... The last photo shows the QuickDry towel "suspended in air" after the metal shelf has dropped (thanks to selfie mode). Please help, this is driving me and my customers crazy!!

OurTown

Reaction score
It looks like if the inside of the door had less friction they might drop better. Maybe try some type of a friction reducing coating or polishing it to a mirror finish. Could you trim off a little of the excess packaging? It looks like a lot of extra at the top.

MEP001

Reaction score
Can you fold the bag in half and turn it 90 degrees?

copperglobe

Reaction score
We had the same problem with the exact same product and vendor. Take off the plastic wrapping and that solves the problem. We found that the plastic wrapping sticks to the door not allowing the product to drop when the shelf drops.

Since we've taken off the plastic the problem went away. It sucks as it requires more hassle but it works.

slash007

Reaction score
Better yet, just buy the big bag of them from Sam's/Costco and fold them yourself. Much cheaper and already out of a wrapper. Been doing that for years with no issues. I just fold them in thirds.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I appreciate your reply! Vending box is only 4 years, and door is still shiny and clean on the inside. The top of the package does have extra plastic that could be trimmed off, but the length isn't causing any problems. The problem is when the door closes, the packaging is wedged between the door and box.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I may have to resort to that. I'm hoping for a packaged solution as my nephew stocks my vending machines, and I know he's NOT going to want to fold towels! :O

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I appreciate your reply! The towels are already pretty thick, and folding them in half wouldn't fit between the shelves.

chaz

Reaction score
Better yet, just buy the big bag of them from Sam's/Costco and fold them yourself. Much cheaper and already out of a wrapper. Been doing that for years with no issues. I just fold them in thirds.
Yep! Cosctco towels. In my case I’ve got a glass front vendor, so I simply roll and rubber band. I also use the Costco terry towels. On slower days I’ll just take a moment and roll a bunch.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I once had a problem with static electricity causing little trees to occasionally not drop. I cleaned the shelves with soapy water, then for good measure dusted them with baby powder.

coincidentally(?) the machine was a year or 2 old when that happened.

soapy

Reaction score
You could get some Downy fabric softener and mix it with water and spray the shelves to reduce static electricity. Try putting a small rubber band around each package before stocking the shelf.

Randy

Reaction score
We buy our Terry and Microfiber towels at Costco, have for years. They are a much better towel than any towel we've tried from our car wash supplier. If you fold them right they'll drop with no problem. We stopped using the bags on the towels, customers would toss them on the ground. Laurel vending also makes a drop shelf unit that the selves are wider apart, I think it is made for the diaper dispenser they manufacture.

Self serve

Reaction score
I believe someone had mentioned earlier folding them in half and turning the package 90*. We have to do that with our Armor All packets. That way they fit and actually helps them to 'spring' downward when the shelf drops away. SS.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Also, u say you have a very nice high end wash. If so, why don't you get a high end glass front vendor

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
UPDATE! This morning, I received a box in the mail from QuickDry, with their 12"x16" microfiber towels (Kleen-Rite Part # VS182). These are the SAME size towels as BIG BOSS (Kleen-Rite Part # VSKMF100), but in smaller packaging!! See photo for comparison.... The cellophane package on QuickDry measures 4" wide, while Big Boss towel is 4.75" wide. The metal shelf on the Laurel Vending One Column is ONLY 4.5" - which explains why the larger packaged towels are getting wedged inside the Laurel vending boxes. When the metal shelf drops, the WIDER package is stuck between the door and back of the box. When I went to ICA last year and spoke to Chris at QuickDry about the microfiber towel problem, we discussed their 16"x16" microfiber towels , but never looked at their 12"x16" towels. He said they have plans to reduce the packaging on their 16"x16" microfiber towels to be comparable with their smaller towels. He's well aware of my problem, and I'm thrilled that we have a short-term and long-term solution! :)

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Also, u say you have a very nice high end wash. If so, why don't you get a high end glass front vendor
Speaking just for my experience in my market,
I have some items that sell better out of a drop shelf - for example the blue cotton towels, I can have them in both the glass front and a drop shelf, and the drop shelf sells more. Likewise for the little trees. Dont ask me to explain, I just work there. :)
Also there are some locations that a high end glass front wont fit... like, at the vac islands. I have impulse items out there in drop shelf vendors, not dissimilar to the end cap displays at the grocery store.

Damoni88

Reaction score
Take off plastic wrapper and that will solve the issue. Also you dont want your customers having something else to litter up your wash-)

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
Better yet, buy them unwrapped.