What's new

Poll: Do you play music at your car wash?

Do you play music on overhead speakers at your car wash?

• Yes

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

OurTown

Reaction score
We have thought about doing this but not sure what type of music to play. We have asked customers what they would like to hear and it's all over the place. Also we speculate that people would hang around more drying (or hand waxing) their car in the bay after washing. This is already an issue with people plugging up bays and since we only have three bays we lose money because of people pulling onto the lot and seeing all bays full then leaving.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Customers like the music. It makes the place more lively, inviting, and happy. Don't over-think the selection. Use a local station if possible. Keep the volume moderate.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Debra & others,

I answered "no" to your poll. Even though we have large "old style 70s 80s?" powerfully loud waterproof Talk-A-Phone-2-way audio Horns in the each bay. An audio expert might share his or her opinion on the quality ... not sure myself. I know voice communication is not too horrible. They tend to be used at large landscape nursery-garden centers.

About a city block from us is Scotty's Drive In ... a very similar format as McDonald's. They play very loud "tends to be nostalgic previous top oldy but still really good records" music while they are open. I am surprised that I rarely see any people breaking out into a dance by their outdoor picnic tables or people walking on the sidewalk by their large corner lot. Unless the dogs they were walking were dancing a bit ... I need to pay closer attention! The homeless single & groups walking tend to be less self conscience so ... there again I probably should pay attention better!

In our PLC driven dog wash we have a device that plays "loud ice cream truck" music while we have our bypass key in so we do not forget to take it out or leave the key switch in the bypass position. If there are people in the other dog wash room-stall ... we always check & ask to see if their dog might get "skiddish" if they hear "loud ice cream truck" music. It is usually just on for a minute or two ... just for us to "power rinse & mint smell" clean up of the accessible available room-stall.

Last edited:

scrubs3

Reaction score
We use Sirius Radio. Bought unlimited plan when they first came out, best decision we made. Paid one time fee of about $500 well over 10+ years ago.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've considered putting up some good quality speakers, more for myself since I prefer to work late in the evening and I prefer classical music. I'll have to gauge customers' reactions to it.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this thread but those that do play music have you ever received a letter from a company representing musicians and requesting a "licensing" fee (approx. $500) under copyright laws to play this music to the "public"?

I had a restaurant where I played music and recieved such letter. Recently recieved another letter at another business I own.

I have considered playing music at the washes for years....but figured if I did I would get another letter.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
These two types of exempt businesses are:

• Food service or drinking establishments (a restaurant, inn, bar, tavern, or any other similar place of business in which the public is being served food or drink) with a.) less than 3750 gross square feet of space, or b.) with 3750 gross square feet of space or more, and less than 6 loudspeakers (no more than 4 loudspeakers per room) and less than 4 televisions (1 per room) with a diagonal screen size greater than 55 inches.
  • Other establishments (e.g. a retail store, office, etc.) with a.) less than 2000 gross square feet of space, or b.)b.) with 2000 or more gross square feet of space and satisfies the same loudspeaker and television set requirements as for food service or drinking establishments (see above).

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We have 6 strategically located speakers in our laundromat for our 60" Sony TV. Each speaker has a volume control that customers have access to ... in a wet location that would be tougher. As far as getting too high of quality of speakers ... keep in mind the background noises from the vacs & sprays etc.

So far since 2011 no nasty legalese certified letters demanding money. I personally think we are doing TV stations a favor whenever we have it on! During our 500 year flood back in 2011 we had it on for updates continuously! Lately we have been showing Covid-19 situation updates!

KleanRide

Reaction score
What kind of equipment/speakers are you guys using? Old timey FM radio with wired speakers? Internet radio, bluetooth?

Would like to broadcast a local FM station without spending too much.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Received one of those letters about 19 years ago. I told my secretary to make a special file for the letter and call me when they came out in person. I made no reply and waited. Sure enough after about l9 years I am still waiting. If they come I will just turn off the radio for awhile.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What kind of equipment/speakers are you guys using? Old timey FM radio with wired speakers? Internet radio, bluetooth?

Would like to broadcast a local FM station without spending too much.
I had an old Am / FM receiver and hooked up a couple of inexpensive weatherproof speakers in the Changer area. I figured with all the Vacuum and pump noise there wasn't much need for a quality listening experience.