What's new

Pit/sand trap cleaning

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
Due to a disagreement with the company that pumps our tunnel pit and automatic sand traps last year i have to find a new route to getting this job done. Im curious what everyone else does with this material? If you remove it yourself where do you dump it? And if you have someone else do it who and how much?

We were using a large company in new england that has grit pump trucks and the pricing was pretty consistent for the last several years. Then we had a disagreement with the company over a different job and suddenly we are told they need to pump our washes twice a year now, and it will literally double the cost! Thats not possible for us, nor is it really necessary, but the problem is even if i could get the sand out of my tunnel pit myself i dont know where to dump it. and i have to be above board because i wouldnt put it past the company to call the town and send them questioning where our "hazardous material" is being disposed of.

Second problem is the design at our automatic sand seperators is in a manhole style cover in our parking lot, meaning we couldnt "shovel" it out. That has to be vacuumed.

What does everyone else do?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
My manholed interceptors I bought a 10' handy clam and have my attendant do 2 wheel barrows a month. I also have him do the same on the pits. I also have a Ring O Matic which in my opinion is absolutely indispensable ( at least for a SS) .

soapy

Reaction score
YOu should get your pit waste tested and keep the results. EPA specifies that it should be dry before it can be taken anywhere off of your property. You can legally dump it on your own property and let it dry as long as any water runoff stays on your property. After it has dried it is considered simple street sweepings by the EPA. Several states including California have tested car wash pit dirt and found it non hazardous once dry. You should check with your individual state to see if they have any added laws that you should follow. You might want to invest in a vacuum trailer yourself. In defense of your old pit pumper, if you let the dirt accumulate for long periods of time you get a concentrate of sand that is much harder and more time consuming to remove compared to doing it moer often.