What's new

Pit Odor Deodorizer Chemicals

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Does anybody use a Pit Odor Deodorizer chemical in their self serves or automatic pits?, I came to the wash today and I thought somebody was trying to hide a dead body in the pit! OMG I had to dump a gallon of bleach to ward off the stench. I see Kleenrite carries some products for this but do they work?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
In the summer , for my Conveyor reclaims I use the 1" swimming pool chlorine tabs in a couple of the chemical makeup tanks. If I ned a little more on occasion I will throw a couple on the floor where wash water tends to run over and past them. Does the job. A tablet lasts bout week, I d not throw them into the pit because I am afraid if it inks into the mud the efficacy may diminish. Their are floating applicators you could use in the pit.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've had bad pit smells in the lesser used bays after having the pits pumped. I found a couple spools of baling wire, so when I need to I take a pool tablet and wrap the wire around it to make sort of a cage, then leave enough wire length so I can hook it on the grate and have it about 6 inches below the top of the water. The stink is gone the next day and the pellet lasts up to a month.

I wouldn't use chlorine/bleach if you have a reclaim system.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I agree with using the chlorine tablets as suggested. You can get a 5gal bucket of them at Costco.

Rudy

Reaction score
I recently had the worst case of "pit smell" I've ever had. I suspect that RV owners were dumping their holding tanks....usually in the middle of the night.

I tried the swimming pool chlorine idea. It didn't work.

What did work......was Zep Septic Tank treatment packs. Within a day....the smell was completely gone.