What's new

Pit Cleaning is the pits!!!!!!!

Kirb

Reaction score
What is the best shovel or tool to use to clean the pits?
Thanks,
Kirb

soapy

Reaction score
Try a handi clam pit shovel. It has parts like a clam shell that come together when using a lever on the top of a long extension. Is the easiest way to clean a pit manually.

Dubois Laundry/Carwash

2 bay SS (and laundromat)
Reaction score
when I win the lottery I'll buy a ring-o-matic 450T or 500T

on 2nd thought, when I win the lottery I'll sell the laundromat/carwash and retire

lag

Reaction score
Try a handi clam pit shovel. It has parts like a clam shell that come together when using a lever on the top of a long extension. Is the easiest way to clean a pit manually.
I will agree it is the best way,but my arms and shoulders do not think it is the easiest. Happy carwashing;)

MEP001

Reaction score
lag said:
I will agree it is the best way,but my arms and shoulders do not think it is the easiest.
Do it for an hour a day every day for a month and your arms and shoulders won't mind anymore.

Kirb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know where I can purchase the handi clam?
Thanks,
Kirb

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
just did my pits this morning. nice and full, they were.

i did this task with true joy because pits full of sand means money.

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
i did this task with true joy because pits full of sand means money.
Not so much here because it's difficult to get rid of the mud. It costs around $1,500 to get them pumped each time.

Kirb

Reaction score
What size handi clam would you recommend?
Thanks,
Kirb

MEP001

Reaction score
Kirb said:
What size handi clam would you recommend?
You need one that fits your application - it has to fit in the opening and will have a handle long enough to reach what you need it to.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I purchased a handi-clam and I have a video of me unfortunally using it. http://cwguy.com/?p=1801

I am using it to dig out my septic tank and purchased the 6? model. It is better then trying to use a shovel to dig it out and cheaper to dig it out your self.

Dubois Laundry/Carwash

2 bay SS (and laundromat)
Reaction score
many places do not allow "liquid" to go to the landfill, (and therefore the dumpster)

liquid is defined as "dripping"

dripping is defined using a particular size paint filter and a specific volume sample size for a set amount of time but I just eyeball it

As cold as it has been lately, I spread it out a bit overnight and put it in the dumpter as frozen lumps the next day so I think I'm ok this time.

In the summer I pull it out of the pit late in the day and leave it on the floor of the bay (roped off) then in the morning throw it in my pickup and drive it to the landfill myself a few days later.

Some people have a dedicated area out of the way to spread it out and dry it before throwing in in the dumpster, but I don't have that much land.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't recall for sure if this is local or national (I believe it's national), but it's legal to put the mud in a dumpster or landfill if it's dry. It must be allowed to dry on a hard non-permeable surface with the runoff allowed to run into a proper sewer.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
In my area, the general understanding is it must be "dry" as MEP stated. I fill my empty chemical containers with the mud. It might seem like overkill but I remove all the labels from the barrels just in case. I use the 5 gal ones for daily mud clean up in the bays and the few 30 gal ones for pit mud. I cut the tops off the 30 gal ones with a circular saw. I then haul it over to my shop and let them sit out back for a few weeks. I then toss them in the dumpster. I started buying certain chemicals in 30 gal drums for this reason. I also have a lift gate on my truck which I bought for this reason as well. I admit I have the tools in order to do this, but most of us know the costs involved with professional removal so I think I have paid for the lift gate and likely part of my warehouse. I even, from time to time, hire contract labor from those labor places to shovel the mud. One final thing, has any else used this stuff in their landscaping? I started using the mud I cleaned up off the floor in the bays, so I could see that there was no trash in it, in my flowerbeds. WOW!!! I knew some people in college that would have paid good money for this stuff.

MEP001

Reaction score
Years ago I ran a wash where the owner had been dumping the pit mud in a pile behind a shed. I noticed that the grass grew much faster and thicker in that mud. You can't help but wonder how hazardous this supposedly hazardous waste really is.